Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Submariner
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, let's just say (hypothetically, of course, because no one would be this stupid...) someone didn't have a lift and proceeded to remove the shocks. How would said individual now get them back on? :banghead:
:stupid:

·
4,638 Posts
Without the lift to take the pressure of the shock you would have to have a set of arms on you the size of tree trunks. Not to mention the chance of scratching things up due to the force as you pull the bolt out... Just seems to risky not to use a lift...... Just think about what damages could occur not using the lift verses renting or buying a lift... :2cents:

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
you didn't?

:D

go to Sears and buy a lift... it won't fit under the bike, so pick up a few pieces of scrap wood to put under the tires.

don't worry, I won't tell anyone... ;)

·
Submariner
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DrHeathenScum said:
you didn't?

:D

go to Sears and buy a lift... it won't fit under the bike, so pick up a few pieces of scrap wood to put under the tires.

don't worry, I won't tell anyone... ;)
No, Joe....see I know this guy...and BTW, he told me to tell you thanks for the suggestion. :stooge:

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
Chris - recommend just buying a lift. Less than $100, Sears, Costco..... well worth it for changing oil, cleaning, swapping pulleys. (I have one from Costco -- fits under the bike if you hold it upright. Also comes with straps.) You're spending a pretty shiney dime for mods.... believe me -- the lift is cheap by comparison and will save you from some "aw $hit" episodes.

·
Registered
424 Posts
It actually doesn't take tree trunks for arms to do it without a lift. First, install the shock into the upper mount but don’t tighten it completely. With the bottom shock mount free to swing have someone straddle the rear tire and use some piece of the frame or steel liner of the fender to lift the rear of the bike enough for you to slide the bolt through the bottom shock and into the mount. If you’re designated Olympian has the endurance you can sprint around to the other side and push the second bolt through too. Or maybe open a beer and give him a short break until you do the next one.

Not saying this is the best way and definitely not the easiest – but it works and costs you nothing. And if you’re using the right areas of the bike to lift there’s no risk of scratching stuff up.

·
4,638 Posts
I agree ... There are several was to reduce the pressure of of the shock... Just seems a bit chancy to do the SOUTHERN CHOPPERS STYLE ...... :moped:

To each his or hers own... What ever floats your boat..... :cheers: :cheers:

·
Submariner
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ricky G. said:
I agree ... There are several was to reduce the pressure of of the shock... Just seems a bit chancy to do the SOUTHERN CHOPPERS STYLE ...... :moped:

I'll be combining the best of all suggestions. As of right now, I'll be using a lift while drinking a beer. :thumb:

·
4,638 Posts
Hey I got an idea, Stack 7 beer cans up under the fender to get the pressure off the shock. Close your eyes , take your shoes off then pull the bolt out with your teeth..... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
P.S. Dont get mad Im just being a smart AS$

·
Submariner
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DrHeathenScum said:
hey, an engine hoist and a tow strap would work too ;)
I went to Sears and picked up a lift, then picked up a six pack of some fine pale ale. Have mastered the operation of the beer. Won't mess with the lift until I get my shocks back from Skullman.

·
4,638 Posts
The SEARS lift works just fine.... It's a one man operation.... But you do need to roll your front tire on a 2x6 a little safer than the 2x4... :2cents: :2cents:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Ricky G. said:

Um, "chancy"? Not sure what part of that would be chancy but I've done it more than once with no problems - and the guys I helped out didn't have to put down $100 for a jack they didn't need. :2cents:

·
Submariner
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
rmdbillet said:
Um, "chancy"? Not sure what part of that would be chancy but I've done it more than once with no problems - and the guys I helped out didn't have to put down $100 for a jack they didn't need. :2cents:

Based on the need for this thread, it would be chancy with my lack of mechanical saavy. After spending "X" dollars for all the mods, what's another $100 for a jack I should've had anyway? (Plus $7 for the sixpack)

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
rmdbillet said:
- and the guys I helped out didn't have to put down $100 for a jack they didn't need. :2cents:
That is your :2cents: . People spend thousands on mods but could save a lot of money if they just did the work themselves. Swapping pulleys, tires, wheels, shocks.... $100 is cheap -- and get into your bike. My V-Rod is the first machine I've ever wrenched on and I enjoy it. I really don't need someone telling me what I don't need.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Vincent said:
Any of you Costco guys got a ID number/manufacturer for the lift they sell.
I have a Costco card but my outlet says they have never heard of a bike lift.
That's the UK for you.
Vincent
I don't think you can get it in the UK - I tried. But Hein Gericke do a very nice one for about £99. It's low and fits easily under the V Rod.
Christine

1 - 20 of 36 Posts