Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I have to tell laconia your fart joke was right on. The V&H baffel plugged the stock baffel...I did not see it.

see post: http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74550&highlight=rsc

I took the stock baffel and the V&H baffle and made them into one.
This mod quieted the 2-2 Reinharts down alot. I would say at least, 1/2 the decibel level. If you want quieter pipes you'll have to experiment with the holes yourself. ( see pics).

On with the show!

1. I drew an acad drawing of the slug on the V&H baffle. I then placed the where I wanted the holes. This gave me location for the slug. plottede 1-1.

2. Cut the drawing out and taped it to the slug on the V&H baffel to center punch the holes.

3. Drilled pilot holes, then used a stepper bit for the rest of the holes. If your are going to experiment with this I suggest to start with the center hole first.
Then add the outer holes to increase the decibel level you desire.

4. The V&H are a little smaller in diameter then the stock baffle. So I chop cut 1/2 inch of the end of the stock baffle. Make sure you get the right end.
Look into the baffle for the flow direction and cut the end that goes into the pipe.

5. Tac welded the cut end onto the end of the V&H baffle to make a tight fit in the pipe. Make sure you get the right end. the end with-out the slug.

6. Put the V&H baffle into the stock baffle and tac welded them together. Put the end with the slug into the stock. (see pics)

7. Grinded the tac weld down so the baffle will slide into the pipe.

8. Put baffles in pipe.

I tried it with the glass and with out...the glass makes a small difference but not to much..will have to wait and see after 500 miles.

will post vid when I can get the bike out of the garage, darn rain.

Thanks
rod

Attachments

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
some more pics

Attachments

·
Registered
661 Posts
I bought my Rhineharts 2-2 because it sounds awesome and louder than stock, Just a suggestion, it seems you dont like how it sounds...why not just get a diff pipe, and sell the 2-2 a lot of guys will jump on the opportunity if you list them on the classified. Also another option is to get the stealth baffles for the 2-2 if you want to quiet them down.

·
aka shudude
3,174 Posts
knightenforcer said:
I bought my Rhineharts 2-2 because it sounds awesome and louder than stock, Just a suggestion, it seems you dont like how it sounds...why not just get a diff pipe, and sell the 2-2 a lot of guys will jump on the opportunity if you list them on the classified. Also another option is to get the stealth baffles for the 2-2 if you want to quiet them down.
:them:

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Better half says I have to remove my patch: "Loud Pipes Saves Lives" lol

There is not another pipe out there that looks as good as the 2-2! IMHO

Why would I want to spend $500-$700 in a new pipe?
I just wanted to quiet the cruising pitch down.
I have done that with this mod.
The pipes sound just great at idle and up through the gears.
At cruising speed 55-70 they will not kill my head after a 400 -500 mile ride in one day.
I did all of this for only for less then $50
Stealth baffles cost $117
Jim at Bub said they will only drop the decibels by 2-4 counts.

Thanks
rod

·
Registered
661 Posts
I did'nt realize the stealths costs that much...Like you, I like doing my own mods to my bike...anyway, you did a great job, good luck with it and let us know if it live up to your expectations. (as far as sound reduction):)

·
O5' CVO - $12,000
707 Posts
I too have the 2-2's and Rod and I chatted a bit before he took on this mod to his pipes. I had done my pipes in a similier fashion and they sound like only BUB 2-2's can sound. But it was that 65 -70 mph cruise speed where this mod quiets them down to a nice smooth pitch. Twist the throttle and there Rineharts. Also, the torque in the lower rpm range is greatly increased while the top end is flattened out a bit. I can even sneak into my neihborhood at night without disturbing anyone.

Great job Rod :thumb:

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Hi -Def.
At least I can say I did it myself right!

Thanks for the chat too. I really did not want to spend the money on new pipes and talking to you just confirmed that what I had in mind would work...and it has. I can actually hear the wind blowing by the helmet again...lol

As soon as I can get I vid I will post it

Thanks again
rod

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
goes to dyno in the morning...

I forgot how loud the 2-2 are with out the baffles.
While checking out a tick I heard... I pulled the baffles out and man what a difference.
I can honsetly stay the mod has really made the bike quiet.
Thanks
Rod

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Life Lesson Learned

All I am going to say is do not do this baffle Mod!

Leave the exhaust to the experts who spent there time and money into
R&D.

Thanks
Rod

·
O5' CVO - $12,000
707 Posts
Rod. what happened? Did something not go well at the dyno-tune? I thought that RNT Racing was doing your tuning.

Do not leave us hanging Rod!:popcorn

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lowest HP on forum

I did not want to leave you just hanging...I just needed some time to take this in and be prepared for my next move.

In my quest of v rod mechanics 101, I have learned that you need to ask the right question using the the proper wording.

We all want our bikes to run and sound a certain way...I got my bike sounding the the way I want ,but the performance is not where I want it to be with this mod.

I have always question my rear cylinder running hotter then my front.
I have learned that the rear cylinder will follow the front.
At the dyno the front cylinder was spot on 13.2 afr...the rear was at 14.2.

If you have your bike maped with a standard map...Ask to have your rear cylinder afr checked. Better to be safe then sorry.

Knowing that my rear cylinder runs hot I decided to go with the advanced tune. Fixing the rear afr.

The mod did not do as good as I wanted.
If failed BIG TIME.

With the mod baffles it restricted the air way way to much.

Here is what I got:
88.59 hp
64.22 torque
13.2 afr
The map has a major dip at 4500-5600 rpm that he could not bring up.

I said that was bullshit... let me pull the baffles...
It pulled a 105.11 hp
71.09 torque
this was just the 2-2 with nothing in them.

I spiked a 18.3 afr at 5200rpm...

I was told if I put just the stock baffle back in that he could work it to about 110-115 hp from his experience and what he saw on the screen for afr.
I was up there in the 14.3 to 15 afr

What to do next????????

The bike does run alot better and fuel econ. is way up... but when I jump on the throttle I can tell the difference.

Thanks
Rod

·
Paintless Rider
1,326 Posts
The stock pipes are very quiet and seem to be very restricted, but still produce good numbers. Did they ever get your cylinders balanced out?

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am looking for something in between the stock and the 2-2... I just have not found a pipe that looks good on the v-rod with the range on sound I am looking for.
I am positive I will find what I am looking for.

Parkus, Both cylinders are now spot on 13.2...The line for afr was as straight as I ever saw.
There is another thing I notice on the ride home...heat! I never felt the heat from the pipes before and now I do. (more restriction)

So In all you can have to much restriction in your pipes. It does not take much restirction to create back pressure. Restriction also quiets the pipes.
There is a fine balance between them.
I am by far no expert in this matter...Only stating what I have seen first hand.

Thanks rod

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had roughly 132 miles on the od when I pulled into the gas station to fill up.
The gauge said I still had 30 more to go. After filling back up I had .6 gallons still in the tank.

While out riding I had a car enter the freeway...Almost took me out.

My instinct was to pull in the clutch rev up alittle... No sound!!! I had to drop it down to third gear and wot just to get out of the way.
blowing my horn all the way around her.
I passed my better half on her bike on the left just so I would not get hit.
I am sorry but I just hate it when people do not pay attention and on the cell phone when entering a freeway.
This lady had no clue that she almost took me out... I made sure she knew what she had done...LOL

Sayin all that When I got home I pulled the baffels and just put my stock baffels back in.
Thanks
Rod

1 - 16 of 16 Posts