Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I own a 09 V Rod Muscle and I'm currently facing an issue I'm not sure of...
I changed the suspension about one week ago back to the stock suspension because it had a Dyna suspension on it and it was very low and not user friendly (I have marked every speed bump on the road) and after I changed I started facing thses troubles lately:
- the bike gives me the "side stand" notification on the digital display when I try to start the bike while it's on natural.
- the gauges flash on and off during thr starting process
- the light suddenly dims while riding
- the bike rpm slightly drops along when the light dims and returns to normal along with the light.
- sometimes the key light flashes.

These are the issues I'm facing right now and I'm taking a very well care of the bike. I bought it second hand, but it faced non of the problems mentioned above when I bought it.

I had this issue when I bought which wasn't a big deal:
- the key light comes ON after a rainy day giving me an error code which was "b1008" and after researching I found that the error code was for a mileage issue, but I'm not sure if that's right or not. I'm suspecting the cause of this is that I'm missing the small rubber seal for the button to change the digital display readings.

I'm mainly here for the issues I mentioned in the beginning and I'd be really grateful if any could provide me with a solution for them.

Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
... 09 V Rod Muscle...
- the bike gives me the "side stand" notification on the digital display when I try to start the bike while it's on natural.
- the bike rpm slightly drops along when the light dims and returns to normal along with the light.
- the key light comes ON after a rainy day giving me an error code which was "b1008" and after researching I found that the error code was for a mileage issue, but I'm not sure if that's right or not. I'm suspecting the cause of this is that I'm missing the small rubber seal for the button to change the digital display readings.
I suspect you have bad wiring concerning the side stand switch and the other issues concerning the gauges flashing and "the light suddenly dims while riding".

Is this dimming light the headlight or an instrument light?

I also assume you're somewhere in Europe where the side stand switch is required.

It's hard to guess where the problem is from your description and this will likely require looking at all the wiring around the front end of the bike near where you were working.

The B1008 DTC has nothing to do with mileage. It means your odometer reset switch is shorted closed. It sometimes sets when the boot isn't installed properly but if your boot is missing it's more likely a bad switch or shorted wiring.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
... 09 V Rod Muscle...
I suspect you have bad wiring concerning the side stand switch and the other issues concerning the gauges flashing and "the light suddenly dims while riding".

Is this dimming light the headlight or an instrument light?

I also assume you're somewhere in Europe where the side stand switch is required.

It's hard to guess where the problem is from your description and this will likely require looking at all the wiring around the front end of the bike near where you were working.

The B1008 DTC has nothing to do with mileage. It means your odometer reset switch is shorted closed. It sometimes sets when the boot isn't installed properly but if your boot is missing it's more likely a bad switch or shorted wiring.
The headlight and the instruments both dim down. I contacted someone in the dealer and I explained to him the issue, he informed me that it's the regulator and it must be replaced.

I think the constant bumps scratching caused the kick stand wiring issue on my bike so I will have to inspect the wires and everything that is related to the kick stand.

I'm from Saudi Arabia and the motorcycle safety standards and requirements we have are the same as the ones in Europe.

I will cross my fingers and put a new regulator. I just hope it fixes the issue.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
...I contacted someone in the dealer and I explained to him the issue, he informed me that it's the regulator and it must be replaced....
I will cross my fingers and put a new regulator. I just hope it fixes the issue.
Your dealer is likely wrong. I wouldn't buy a regulator without more diagnostics. Intermittent dimming lights doesn't usually mean a bad voltage regulator. You should see a P0562 low voltage DTC (and C0562 if you have ABS) when the regulator is the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...I contacted someone in the dealer and I explained to him the issue, he informed me that it's the regulator and it must be replaced....
Your dealer is likely wrong. I wouldn't buy a regulator without more diagnostics. Intermittent dimming lights doesn't usually mean a bad voltage regulator. You should see a P0562 low voltage DTC (and C0562 if you have ABS) when the regulator is the problem.
I will check ths voltage before buying the regulator then, but do I'm not sure of the rpm drop along with the lights dimming. They come back to normal together at the same time so I have to keep that in mind as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a similar issue on my ‘12 Muscle. It was the main ground coming from the battery to the rocker covers. Had to remove the airbox to get to it. I’d check this before buying any parts. Hope this helps, if it does it’s a free fix!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts