Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my new F two months ago. Time for 1st service. Is it worth spending the extra $ for the synthetic? What mileage intervals should I change for both types. I know I could ask HD, but I know they're just trying to make $.

·
N R S N V
1,012 Posts
Totally synthetic!!! Most around here use Amsoil. Never used it, but seems to be a top notch oil from what I hear. I personally use Mobil 1. I change my oil every 3,000 miles or so. I had the HD syn when I had my first 1k check since it was free.....I burned through that oil so fast!! Was almost a quart low for next oil change at 4k. Had Mobil 1 every since and it works great for me.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Just picked up my new F two months ago. Time for 1st service. Is it worth spending the extra $ for the synthetic? What mileage intervals should I change for both types. I know I could ask HD, but I know they're just trying to make $.
I had the same dilemma as you because I got my 2012 10th Ann. Ed. at the first of April, after a little research and talking to an Ex Harley Mechanic, I am gonna get the HD Syn 3 for my first 1K oil change which is scheduled for this next Friday. But after then I plan to switch to the Amsoil, and after recommendations from the mechanic, I plan to just change it every Spring as long as the miles don't exceed 5K a year. The mechanic also said any full motorcycle synthetic oil would be adequate, but after hearing how the fellow members swear by the Amsoil, I don't believe we will regret using it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Syn 3 for me (so far)

I changed my oil at 531 miles with Screaming Eagle Syn3 with no ill effects, in fact I think I may have noticed the fan coming on less after the change to synthetic. However that may be in my mind only. I have 1400 on it now and still have found no issues. I am planning on changing at around 1500 with the Syn 3 again and then changing to AMsoil as it does seem to be the oil of choice.

After the second oil change at 1500 I will cut back on the intervals, Im really paranoid about the first few oil changes on anything I buy with an engine anymore, who knows what ended up inside there during assembly. Plus these engines will see more wear in the first 1000-1500 miles than anything else. I wanted to pull the plug at 500 and check the magnet and make sure nothing weird was happeneing. All was well though no chunks or anything out of the ordinary just a little bit of metal powder. Although the Syn 3 oil is pricey its cheap insurance for the long haul. I tell myself that anyway..

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Amsoil guarantees that when using their oil and oil filter you can extend your change interval by double the moco spec.. That means 10k changes instead of 5k. Me personally, I always changed it at 7.5k range. The last oil change before the untimely death of my bike, I pushed it to 10k and sent the oil in for analysis. Analysis came back and told me the oil looked like it had 2k miles on it. The thread is here somewhere.
HERE'S THE THREAD... http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96870&page=2

link to PDF of oil analysis here: http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2134550&postcount=56

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
The only way I would go Syn 3 is to make the dealer happy (warramty wise) after that use something better.
I use Mobil1 in my cars and Amsoil in my bikes. Makes a world of difference

1 - 9 of 9 Posts