Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, this is my first post. Just got my V-Rod and I absolutly love it already. I'm 5'6" and want to fit the HD reduced reach pegs, but I've heard they reduce the ground clearance in corners. Is this true and is it very noticeable. Also, do the reduce reach bars change the look (visual balance) of the bike much. At this stage of the love affair I still feel a stock V-Rod looks just about perfect to me.
I think I'll add a bit more chrome though.......
TIA

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Steve C it will effect ground clearence but by a very minor amount. They stick out further but if you use them as designed they sit higher as well so it is a trade off.

Max

·
Registered
41 Posts
Steve C:
I have them on my bike. They do save shoes and you pickup a small amount of lean angle. Like Max sait they stick out farther.
Larry

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
7come11, Am I right in thinking that in your experience they helped ground clearance a little?

I was reading a magazine the other day which had a V-Rod as one of their long term test bikes. The tester suggested getting the reduced reach pegs to helps reduce the effect of wind on lifting and pushing out the legs at high speed. Reckoned it made a big difference. Have you noticed any improvement in that area yourself since you fitted them?
That and ground clearance are my only two minor grips with this great bike.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think that there are two reduced reach kits. One kit moves only the footpegs up and backwards. The other set also moves the brake and shift levers up and back too. You cannot use the "V-Rod" scripted shift rod with the latter kit.

Moving the pegs back and up INCREASES ground clearance. I used to touch the pegs when making turns. Now I only drag my heels.

I only moved the pegs. This means that I have to move my foot a little to reach either the shifter or the brake lever, but I actually like this as in their stock position, my feet rested on the levers and I don't like doing that. Plus, most of the braking power is in the front. If you want your shifter and brake pedal to move back and up with the pegs, get the whole kit instead of just the peg rear-sets.

I hope my rambling helps.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Steve C.
What Hippo said is true. In 2002 the only reduced reach kit available was the peg kit #50270-02A. ($133.95) That’s the kit I installed. To day you can also buy the Reduced Reach Control Kit #50360-04. ($276.95). Again like Hippo said the extra reach to the pedals is neglagable. I have not seen the new kit but it looks like they reshaped the brake pedal only not the shifter to move it back. Besides not being worth the extra cost, it would be waited if you decided to use custom peddles.

As far as the peg dragging goes the kit will give you about a 75% less peg drag under “NORMAL” riding. If you are an “AGGRESSIVE” rider (Can you say Kaz) you won’t notice a difference. I have forgotten about the foot blowing off the peg at 80 mph and up. The kit stopped that problem for the most part; I can’t remember the last time it happened.

Hope this helps.
Larry

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes a big help, thanks for the replys guys. It Seems for me the pegs are a win, win situation. I would have bought the complete kit but thanks to your advice I'll get the basic one and save the extra money for more chrome. :icon_mrgr

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Steve C said:
Yes a big help, thanks for the replys guys. It Seems for me the pegs are a win, win situation. I would have bought the complete kit but thanks to your advice I'll get the basic one and save the extra money for more chrome. :icon_mrgr
Check out the KOSMAN Midcontrols! :slap: There are Not Cheap but You will Thank me I PROMISE! :thumb:

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
So that is the only option for reduced reach kits? Dont think that will be enough for my G/F to reach the pedals.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Foot Boards

I'm 5'7". I had the reduced reach pegs on my 2002 V-rod. I recently swapped them out for foot boards. The floor boards are much more comfortable. I bought the brackets from Cyclevisions. The boards themselves are standard Harley. The only problem that I've had is that they wouldn't work with the aftermarket exahauth that I wanted to put on (Bub Reinhardt). They did work with the stock exhaust and the screaming eagle exhaust also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts