Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of clutch & brake reduced reach levers?

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
I haven't seen or heard of any, Frank.

What has helped me some is to roll the hand controls towards me a bit on the handlebars. It decreases the distance my fingers have to reach to grab the levers by maybe a half-inch. It's enough to be noticeable, tho.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have noticed that Harley makes seats, foot controls, and handle bars to adapt the V-ROD for shorter riders. When the hell are they going to notice that the short people have small hands! I just got the new accecories book yesterday and they still don't offer them. Dah...........wake up Harley!

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Agree, jlbait. Smaller diameter grips would be nice, too. HD makes one set, but they are UGLY. The shape of the ailerons makes them feel smaller overall, but I wouldn't mind a smaller-diameter version.

·
Registered
347 Posts
It's early, maybe I'm not awake yet, but wouldn't a smaller grip make the reach for the levers even more?

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Steve... you got me thinking... not saying that's it's right but if the grip is smaller the hand is closer to the lever? I'm still on my first cup of coffee !

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
hmmm, smaller grips would increase the distance to the levers. But they'd be more comfortable to hang onto. We need an integrated thing, where all of those parts are just a bit smaller for smaller hands. I'd buy 'em!

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Val...I think that if you wrap something [wash cloth] around the grip that this will increase the distance between your hand and lever? Let me know what you find.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
jlbait said:
LOL! Greg, I'm on my second cup a totaly confused now!
What else you guy's Putin in your coffee? :eek:

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
I think I understand the disconnect here. Making the grip fatter decreases the distance from the front of the grip (the side that is further away from me) to the levers, but increases the distance from the back of the grip (the side that is closest to me) to the lever.

The best setup for smaller hands would be a combination of smaller grips, maybe even smaller levers (at least more forgiving ones for me), and levers that are located closer to the grips than I have now.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Val,
Smaller Hands need LARGER"longer" LEVERS=More Force=easier to Pull! ;)

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Tx, Kaz - longer for increased leverage makes sense - but I still might want them to be smaller around to make it easier for the ends of my fingers to curl around them, but that's probably less important than having them closer to the grips.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
I'm not a Metallurgist but I'm pretty sure the levers are cast Aluminum.You would have a very hard time bending them with out breaking them.They are Brittle from the casting the way the metal is. :hmm: A custom set made to you is the way to go! ;)

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Val...I used the search engines that I know and found nothing for Vrod, How much closer do the handles need to be?

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Thanks, Greg - I would have to play around to see. Rolling the controls towards me has made the reach tolerable, but it puts the mirrors at a funny angle. I need to roll them back into normal position and then think about how much closer to me the levers would need to be for more comfort.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
How about making the controls adjustable? Mountain bike levers have a set screw that allows you to adjust the reach. There can be some disadvantages to this... less available lever travel is one, but the V-rod controls seem to have a lot of extra travel built in so some kind of stop or set screw built into the lever that would allow you to control the final resting place would be good for the small of hand. The question then becomes, if you adjust the position in a bit, is it possible to adjust the position of lever travel that begins the engagement process? I dont think so, since the master cylinder is attached to the lever... lever travel begins plunger motion. Any additional thoughts? I dont have the bike here handy, so I cant go and look....

Greg

1 - 20 of 35 Posts