Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Diesel Smoke Tester
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished installing a set of HD reduced reach handlebars that I bought at the Oakland HD. Took less than 2 hours; and I did not even use the extended front brake line that they include. The stock unit reached without streching too much. Boy my short arms sure drop down right onto the new location of the grips! It looked a little funny to me at first, but after a short ride.. and staring at them a few more times....they look just fine! The Kuryakn ISO grips still look very cool. I just sold my PT Cruiser, so I'm going to spend a little of the cash on a few more do-dads this month. I already got my cool V-Rod jacket patches from the link I saw here the other day.
I also really like "Joe's" new lighted axel covers that are becoming available soon. Also, might get a custom seat made at Corbin to lower me a bit, while still pushing me closer to the bars. It's the craps being 5'4" sometimes!! but, then again,....... I hardly ever bump my head on things!! :laugh: The bike runs sooooooo good with the PC and the 028 map, I don't want to mess with the performace at all. Just a little more on the looks side of the house.
:biker:

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
great news, redrazor! I thought the handlebars looked a little weird at first, too, but now I don't even see them. My neck and shoulders appreciate not having to stretch so far to reach them!

I can't remember if we discussed the seat thing, but rather than spending the big bucks to have Corbin make me a seat, I'm going to have the Butt Buffer guys install their gel insert under the cover of the forward seat so it's invisible, take some of the padding out of the seat below it to get at least 1" lower, and they said they can put some more padding in that back shelf to give me a little more of a back rest. I'm also going to have them shave off some on the sides up towards the front, since it's a little wide for me. He quoted me somewhere around $100-150 for the whole thing and I've heard they have pretty quick turnaround. I think my behind will like the gel. Something to consider anyway.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Butt Buffer guys???

Val, Do you have a website for these Butt Buffer guys? I'm interested in doing what you going to do! Let us know how yours comes out. :mrgr: :cheers: Thanks, Fred

Val said:
great news, redrazor! I thought the handlebars looked a little weird at first, too, but now I don't even see them. My neck and shoulders appreciate not having to stretch so far to reach them!

I can't remember if we discussed the seat thing, but rather than spending the big bucks to have Corbin make me a seat, I'm going to have the Butt Buffer guys install their gel insert under the cover of the forward seat so it's invisible, take some of the padding out of the seat below it to get at least 1" lower, and they said they can put some more padding in that back shelf to give me a little more of a back rest. I'm also going to have them shave off some on the sides up towards the front, since it's a little wide for me. He quoted me somewhere around $100-150 for the whole thing and I've heard they have pretty quick turnaround. I think my behind will like the gel. Something to consider anyway.

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Here they are, Fred: http://www.buttbuffer.com/

They're about 2 hrs from me, so I keep debating whether to go down there and have them do it while I'm there to make sure the adjustments are just right, or sending the seat now and having it done while I'm not riding much. Will let you know!

·
backcracker
735 Posts
Redrazor, I would consider buying those extended brake lines off you depending on how long they are. they might just be the ticket for my t bars. Oh yeah, I haven't seen you at any of our 5'4" meetings!! I do love the lack of hitting my head on things! :laugh: Let me know if you would be interested in selling them. Thanks.

Dan

·
Diesel Smoke Tester
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thinking on it

Dan,

Let me think on it for a couple of days. I'm not sure I will stick with the "reduced reach" bars I put on yesterday. They look a little funny, to me, still. I had thought about some 1 1/4 inch chubby style that would let me run the wires more easily through them. If I decide to do something like that, I may need these exented length ones. The braided set in the accessory catalog from HD are priced at $138.00 for the stock length ones. I'm thinking that $75 seems like a fair price. What do you think?? I'll decide in the next few days. redrazor :biker:

·
backcracker
735 Posts
Is it just the one cable or the whole set? But $75 seems fine if you decide to get rid of them or it. Thanks,
Dan

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Does someone have the specs on the reduce reach bars? I'm looking for the differance between the stock and the reduce reach and the stock bars.

·
Diesel Smoke Tester
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
exactly 2" farther back toward rider.

The new (reduced reach) bars that I put on (and now love) are a whole 2" closer to the seat position. It feels weird for the first couple of days, but then seems just right to me. I also went down and bought a stock 100 yr anniversary seat for $150. They had it on display forever and were anxious to get rid of it. It is a better leather (with the 100 anv emblem) and is a full 1" lower (thinner) than the reduced reach seat I was using. I puts my short legs flat on the ground now, and the pegs are totally comfortable as well. I'll try to post a photo or two soon. The new bars have exactly the same configuration as the stock (A) bars. Same bends and all; the middle outreach section just goes back 2" more toward the seat. Good luck. redrazor :ride:

·
Diesel Smoke Tester
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They are exactly the same width. good luck. redrazor

·
Registered
58 Posts
re: bars changing the look.

Redrazor, I appreciate your info so far. You said earlier on that the reduced reach bars looked " a little funny ". Do they spoil in the look of the V-Rod somewhat, in your opinion.
I was a little worried they might do that myself, so I deceided in the end not to get them. I'd be interested to know from you how much they change the lines of the bike. Your :2cents:
TIA

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
redrazor said:
I just finished installing a set of HD reduced reach handlebars that I bought at the Oakland HD. Took less than 2 hours; and I did not even use the extended front brake line that they include. The stock unit reached without streching too much. Boy my short arms sure drop down right onto the new location of the grips! It looked a little funny to me at first, but after a short ride.. and staring at them a few more times....they look just fine! The Kuryakn ISO grips still look very cool. I just sold my PT Cruiser, so I'm going to spend a little of the cash on a few more do-dads this month. I already got my cool V-Rod jacket patches from the link I saw here the other day.
I also really like "Joe's" new lighted axel covers that are becoming available soon. Also, might get a custom seat made at Corbin to lower me a bit, while still pushing me closer to the bars. It's the craps being 5'4" sometimes!! but, then again,....... I hardly ever bump my head on things!! :laugh: The bike runs sooooooo good with the PC and the 028 map, I don't want to mess with the performace at all. Just a little more on the looks side of the house.
:biker:
1. What routing problems did you run into when using the existing brake lines? You say you had to strech it a bit. Could you elaborate?

2. You have a VRSCA so I assume you used pn# 56533-02A. This true?
The catalog says you need a separate brake line kit (pn# 45792-02) which turns out to be $169. Does the catalog lie or does it come with the bar kit?

Thanks,

John

·
Diesel Smoke Tester
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
RustyG said:
1. What routing problems did you run into when using the existing brake lines? You say you had to strech it a bit. Could you elaborate?

2. You have a VRSCA so I assume you used pn# 56533-02A. This true?
The catalog says you need a separate brake line kit (pn# 45792-02) which turns out to be $169. Does the catalog lie or does it come with the bar kit?

Thanks,

John
John,

My reduced reach bars came with the extra (dual) braided brake hoses, and splitter, and single line up to the master cylinder. The whole set up cost me about $235 (I think). I just swiveld the banjo bolt a bit downward at the master cylinder, and the existing brake lines worked just fine. It's been over a year ago, so my memory is a bit fuzzy, but the hardest part of the job for me was running all the wires through the bars; after I drilled a 1/4" hole in each dimpled side of the bars, and a 1/2" hole in the middle of the bar between the (2) risers. The dissasembly of the wire plugs and running a guide wire through each side to pull the wires through were a real bitch. If you leave the wires exposed, it's really a piece of cake to change the bars.
good luck,
redrazor :biker:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts