Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please read through to edit.

Red mist is a term used to describe the preoccupation a rider experiences when his or he mind is distracted from total concentration on actual riding because of some other objective. Examples are getting to work on time, wanting to get ahead in traffic, hating the fact that the cellphone using minivan rider behind you is now trying to put a hat on his kid's head, painting the garage this weekend, etc. Red mist can often occur to riders who are very accustomed to a particular path of travel.

The way too work it the one that bites the worst for me. If it happens while on the motorcycle it is nowhere near as bad as when in the cage. I’ve gotten 3 miles through a part of the trip and must admit that my mind has been totally somewhere else. Thank God no small child ventured into my mindless path.

The very serious downside of red mist is that we can ignore important components of safe roadcraft. Does this happen to you? If so, when?

EDIT BASED ON GOOD FEEDBACK FROM MEMBERS BELOW
Ok, so I've done much more research and must report that the majority of references to red mist speak to some sort of desire to deal with a particular objective and the discussions surround events wherein the rider/driver is intensely preoccupied by that thought. The intense desire to get around the driver that cuts one off, the anger over the minivan driver in my first post are examples of such. The boiled down issue is one of preoccupation distracting the rider/driver, often experienced with an intensity, that leaves them more vulnerable to having an accident.

So, to refocus on what is understood by most, and the real reason for the original post....

Here is a situation that gets my mist red going:

Relentless tailgaters whether I'm in the cage or on the motorcycle. I have reacted based in anger more than good senses and in doing so created less not more safety. What makes it worse is that I can be so relentless that the bozo behind gets angry and does something even more so stupid to get away from me. All this time there is no-way I can be paying attention to my riding/driving.

·
jacket off!
9,720 Posts
Almost everytime I ride. I guess it's unfortunate, but I use riding as a tool to make some of the stress from that day disappear or when the thoughts of some obstacle(s) I need to strategize and plan on just how to maneuver myself into the best way around whatever that may be are to the point in which they conume me.

GUILTY!:hidesbeh:

·
VROD JUNKIE
1,390 Posts
Diamond Lil said:
The way too work it the one that bites the worst for me. If it happens while on the motorcycle it is nowhere near as bad as when in the cage. I’ve gotten 3 miles through a part of the trip and must admit that my mind has been totally somewhere else. Thank God no small child ventured into my mindless path.

The very serious downside of red mist is that we can ignore important components of safe roadcraft. Does this happen to you? If so, when?
After about 5 beers
:hidesbeh:

·
Darth Veeness
2,014 Posts
This can happen to anyone at any time. Our brains multitask constantly and it can omit certain details. I have been on long drives where I will realize that I can't remember the last five or ten miles of road that I have just driven. It doesn't always come down to irritation or any other factor, sometimes your mind just idles while you are doing something that you are comfortable with. That is why the saying "complacency kills" is always true. You have to concentrate on what you are doing, especiallty when riding.

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
I get it on long trips on the highway...the long boring endless miles of open highway. I've been on the bike and my mind is totally somewhere else, then I realize that uh, I'm not in a car and I need to pay attention! Fortunately nothing bad has happened (knock wood!).

·
Where's Max?
2,444 Posts
Red Mist: thought that was when you've suddenly overcome by a feeling of anger/hatred for someone/thing that you've just encountered.
The description of the 'blanking out' that occurs when driving/riding has been historically known as 'White line fever' I know it's happened to me at least once. Was driving back from Colorado Springs to Las Cruces... About 15 miles north of Albuquerque at 5pm, I remember reading the sign Albuquerque next 17 exits. Then the next thing I remember is seeing the Exit marker in Socorro for the VLA (very large array, radio telescope cluster) 1.5 hours, no recollection, through a very busy rush hour traffic in one of the poorest planned commuter cities in the SW...

·
TRANNY KILLER :)
14,572 Posts
I try to concentrate on the road and my surroundings 100% of the time I'm riding, but there have been a few times my music has set adrift that concentration...... so I'm guilty!

·
Banned
15,036 Posts
I used to drive a steel truck back in the day. I got good at being able to catch a nap with one eye open and still cruise down the freeway. I used to catch naps on my bikes during my party years. I would nod off whilst laying down on the tank, and wake up when I hit a few dots. Get straight again, and nod off for a bit. It's an acquired skill for sure.

·
Where's Max?
2,444 Posts
josephthreedogs said:
Red mist is also hitting a prarie dog with a 22-250.
Was trying to not go there... but the same effect on a jack rabbit w/ a .45-70
:D

·
WHATEVER
3,739 Posts
******* said:
Almost everytime I ride. I guess it's unfortunate, but I use riding as a tool to make some of the stress from that day disappear or when the thoughts of some obstacle(s) I need to strategize and plan on just how to maneuver myself into the best way around whatever that may be are to the point in which they conume me.

GUILTY!:hidesbeh:
I thought you suffer from green mist?:stilpoke:

·
Bike snob
756 Posts
Xoygeha said:
Was trying to not go there... but the same effect on a jack rabbit w/ a .45-70
:D
That's what I thought this thread was going to be about when I saw the title.

Seriously, it happens to me occasionally on the way to work. Not too often because I do make a conscious effort not to let it happen. I've never had it happen on a trip through unfamiliar roads.

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Xoygeha said:
Red Mist: thought that was when you've suddenly overcome by a feeling of anger/hatred for someone/thing that you've just encountered.
The description of the 'blanking out' that occurs when driving/riding has been historically known as 'White line fever' I know it's happened to me at least once. Was driving back from Colorado Springs to Las Cruces... About 15 miles north of Albuquerque at 5pm, I remember reading the sign Albuquerque next 17 exits. Then the next thing I remember is seeing the Exit marker in Socorro for the VLA (very large array, radio telescope cluster) 1.5 hours, no recollection, through a very busy rush hour traffic in one of the poorest planned commuter cities in the SW...
From what I've learned red mist is not limited to provocation by rage. It can be provoked by mere preoccupation with an objective other than being fully mindful of the riding/driving task at hand.

·
Dog Is My Copilot
434 Posts
In the E.O.D. world, red mist or pink mist is a term for what your body becomes after the device detonates in your presence...luckily, you'll never know what it feels like. :cuckoo ;)

·
Pulling your strings
859 Posts
On the way to work, but it's not a matter of my timing. About halfway on my way to work I always start thinking of what I have to do when I get in.

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
I have never heard it explained that way, but I definitely experience it more in a cage than on the bike.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I was caught between red mist and road rage yesterday as a women behind me was putting her makeup on steering w her knee.I was on an overpass without an escape,watching her in the mirrors and and paying less attention to other traffic.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
F*@kTard
7,946 Posts
Johnny HotFoot said:
I try to concentrate on the road and my surroundings 100% of the time I'm riding, but there have been a few times my music has set adrift that concentration...... so I'm guilty!
:them:

The only other issue I seem to have is when my fiancee is riding with me and has had a few beers she seems to think its fun to tickle me and shit while riding.

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Original post edited

1 - 20 of 24 Posts