Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you know, I just recovered my bike on Saturday after it was stolen and missing (for all of 2 days). Well, the Harley dealer is coming to pickup the bike today and start repairs. I've noted everything that i've seen wrong (mostly cosmetic) but what else should I be looking for that maybe doesn't stick out? I'm sure he "rode it like he stole it"...

One concern of mine is fuel. He had to put gas in it at some point since he put over 100 miles on it and it was already on E. Should I be concerned about what he put in there? Maybe not so much grade...but what about dirty gas assuming he wouldn't take it to a station to fill it up with good gas.

Also, his 100+ miles put me over my first 1k Service. Just curious, will insurance pay for the service now? I'm assuming they have to do some sort of inspection of the motor since it was stolen...but would it cover the 1k service?

Next, my license plate is still gone...and it was a personalized tag. Will I be able to get another one (with the same tag) or will I have to switch to something else? If I get the same tag, it seems like there could then be 2 tags that say the same thing. I'll call the DMV to check on this soon...just curious if anyone has encountered that.

Lastly, there are a couple of scratches (or so it seems) on some of the painted parts. The bike is super dirty so it's hard to tell if they're scratches or not though. Is this something the dealer will look at as well?

I'd hope they'd inspect the entire bike and tell me if they see anything else that is wrong...but is that asking too much?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Tell them to go over it 110%. Also, ask for a itemized list of EVERYTHING they notice and fix. Then, if later on down the line something comes up, that shouldn't have, you take care of it then.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's getting worked on at Eagle HD in Lafayette (for those in the area). I know it's an older dealer (not even a bike lift!) but they've always seemed nice to me. Anyone have an experience with them?

Actually, they JUST called and said they're coming to pick her up. I couldn't get it started (ignition) and even if I was able to pop the clutch, the left handlebar assembly is loose. And, since it's raining, they offered to just come get it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
KIPFOX said:
do the gas stations around there have cameras...just in case?
Depends on which one he went to. But that'd only let me see what he put in the bike (if that's possible). He's already been arrested so we don't need to find him.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
boilernole said:
It's getting worked on at Eagle HD in Lafayette (for those in the area). I know it's an older dealer (not even a bike lift!) but they've always seemed nice to me. Anyone have an experience with them?

Actually, they JUST called and said they're coming to pick her up. I couldn't get it started (ignition) and even if I was able to pop the clutch, the left handlebar assembly is loose. And, since it's raining, they offered to just come get it.
I think you'll find one or two guys who have had engines built out there. Tell them RJ said "Hi."

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
boilernole said:
Will they take care of me then? Or will they "accidentally" drop my bike a few times? ;-)
They'll make it right. Have no worries. They'll find everything that needs fixing. There are very few shops in the country that have torn down as many V-Rods as Eagle has.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quick question. That "plate" that is welded on the bottom of the frame looks different than it did before...or so I think. It look like it's welded to the frame, then notches up, then goes across (and the other side doesn't notch back down). The cops said they thought it scraped when they were chasing him but I didn't notice that until just now (as he was towing it away). I'm going to head down to the dealer and take a couple of pictures and go over it with him. Does anyone understand what i'm talking about with this "notch up"...I thought that plate when straight across before...but I could just be paranoid.

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
HELL yeah Boiler I didnt know they found your bike! Awesome I am sure you are extremely relieved? Has me a little worried myself. Well good luck glad she is home safe, good luck.

·
Pineland Underground
14,737 Posts
When you reported your bike stolen the DMV should have been notified; if not just call your DMV office and tell them the whole story. They'll either reissue the same tag or they have you select a new one. Either way, getting the tags is probably going to be the easiest part of your repairs.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ohioVROD said:
HELL yeah Boiler I didnt know they found your bike! Awesome I am sure you are extremely relieved? Has me a little worried myself. Well good luck glad she is home safe, good luck.
My roommate was quite relieved too. His vrod was sitting right next to mine the night it was stolen. He since moved it to my g/f's garage. However, now that the thief was arrested and we know it wasn't some "professional ring", they'll both be back in the parking lot before too long. I'm trying to get permission to park them right next to our door (in an enclosed walkway area) but I don't think it's going to happen.

·
KC Rally Vet
3,172 Posts
Skid plate goes up in the front to protect the fuel tank. The boys at Eagle will take care of it for you. When you get in the service area it looks like a V-Rod chop shop they have so many in there. Tell Larry "Stidham says hey."

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hah, so many people to tell "hi". I just stopped over there and dropped off the key. He said that it'd be looked at today or tomorrow (I think he said by Marv...although that's just his nickname). I'll stop over there again tomorrow to see what they say and to make sure they noticed everything I noticed. From all of your comments, i'm pretty sure they'll get it all right and from what they told me, it will be quick.

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
rjrivero said:
I think you'll find one or two guys who have had engines built out there. Tell them RJ said "Hi."

And Vinny says "hey"

·
Banned
3,752 Posts
WOW, I read Charlotte in your avatar and then read Eagle was coming to get your bike. I was thinking Paul and Elvis really needed to take a road trip!
I figured it out now. Your in school up there. You may be the luckiest guy on the forum. Hopefully the crook blew your motor and clutch. Eagle can build you the baddest motor going. Also hook ya with an AIM clutch actuator.
No kidding Eagle is one of the best with the vrod. Say hello to Paul, Ryan, Larry, Dan and Elvis if he's around.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts