Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that the F has a couple more HP than the nightrods' dunno if thats true.

I do not have an owners manual, so Im wondering what octane is this engine recommending in the manual? Is it High ocatane thus giving the extra supposed HP?

I have run regular and had no pinging, and supreme with no noticable difference. I would hate to use supreme and there be no point.

Another problem is that most modern gas pumps have a selectable ocane rating and only one hose, so not only is the High Ocane Fuel not replenished in the tanks cus of lack of demand, but you have to get the gallon of regular out of the hoses before you get the supreme to the nozle.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,147 Posts
I'd use at least 91 octane. Don't skimp to save less than $1 on fill-up when the engine calls for 91. Muscle has the same engine as the other 1250 bikes.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd use at least 91 octane. Don't skimp to save less than $1 on fill-up when the engine calls for 91. Muscle has the same engine as the other 1250 bikes.
It might be the same engine, but setup different.

the Muscle has 86ftlbs torque at 6500RPMs
the nightrod has 85ftlbs torque at 7000RPMs

So there is a difference.

Theres no HP ratings on the HD website.

·
Isld Shite Disturber
1,040 Posts
Another problem is that most modern gas pumps have a selectable ocane rating and only one hose, so not only is the High Ocane Fuel not replenished in the tanks cus of lack of demand, but you have to get the gallon of regular out of the hoses before you get the supreme to the nozle.
this is a great little scam allot of stations have been doing for years...I have read articles that say it's over 3 liters plus of shiit gas in the hose/pump before you actually get the higher octane gas you selected......it's bull$hit and a rip off!!!..... here we have Chevron and they have a separate hose and they have 94 oct.......yes 94,, all the rest have 91 and the odd one has a separate hose for 91........bottom line is get the highest you can when you need it.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Plus if I remmeber from racing my High-end JetSkis it's not HP that determines what you need it's compression ratio s There should be no real difference in the 2 motors ,i think the torque difference is Exhaust and ECU.

I still use High no matter what and try to stick to pumps that have separate hoses

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
it might be the same engine, but setup different.

The muscle has 86ftlbs torque at 6500rpms
the nightrod has 85ftlbs torque at 7000rpms

so there is a difference.

Theres no hp ratings on the hd website.
vrscf = 122 hp
vrscdx=125hp

·
Registered Boozer
1,529 Posts
the 2009 VRSC owners manual says 91

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Run the high octane... Only difference is the exhaust that I know of....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts