Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
SHO NUFF
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed the past couple of days when I've got my V-Rod out that my gas mileage is terrible. I filled up yesterday, drove home (7.2 miles after resetting the odometer) and it has sucked 1/8th of a tank. What in the world? What would be some of your first suggestions for this? Its due for a "checkup" which I usually do at the start of spring, but I have a feeling this is something really bad.

·
Premium Member
11,352 Posts
All V-Rod gas gauges are garbage. Not reliable at all. Sometimes they appear to be working sometimes they say full when you are empty and vice versa.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Mine has been fine but you should always check your milage with the odometer. When you fill up what are your mpg's?

·
SHO NUFF
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, its difficult for me to do this because I don't want to run out of gas. When my odometer says its almost empty I fill up. I'll have to pay attention to how many gallons I put in my tank. How big is the V-Rod tank again? I forget.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Do a mileage against actual fuel used test.
Alcohol %'s are on the rise throughout the country.Alcohol and cold air means less MPG.
Alcohol has less stored energy than MTBE.MTBE was used to raise the octane,aka the burn rate of gasoline,not the amount of stored energy.Ethyl worked real good for raising the octane,but lead isn't good for to many living things on earth.Alcohol is appr 30% lower in stored energy than the other chemicals so it takes more to make the same amount of power.

·
Beach Bum
2,189 Posts
They say 3.7gal but I always fill up to the top and one time when I ran out I barely could fit 3.5gal.

And cold air KILLS my mileage. Just rode to Charlotte (200 miles each way) and left in 30-some degree weather and got 37mpg first tank, on the way back when it hit 75 I got 42mpg on that tank and I rode exactly the same way (speed, acceleration, road).

And I agree, the alcohol percent is hurting as well.

FWIW I get 40 to 44mpg very consistently, my wife gets 43 to 46mpg very consistently (makes sense, I have 100# on her). We have identical bikes.

·
SHO NUFF
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere near 30-40 MPG. More like 10-15. Maybe its my odometer but I just have a bad gut feeling that something's not right. I don't know, maybe I'm just paranoid.

My bike is a 2005 and I do not "winterize" it. I keep it inside a heated/finished basement over the winter charged to a battery tender. I try my best to get it out and run it every once in a while over the winter and I at least try and go by and start it every so often. Could this be the source of my problem? I'm going to swing it by my local dealer get the fluids changed soon. Its long overdue.

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
Definately cold air and winter gas. Once the temps are above 70 and they switch back to the summer gas with less volatile components your old mileage will return. Happens every year.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Well, I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere near 30-40 MPG. More like 10-15. Maybe its my odometer but I just have a bad gut feeling that something's not right. I don't know, maybe I'm just paranoid.

My bike is a 2005 and I do not "winterize" it. I keep it inside a heated/finished basement over the winter charged to a battery tender. I try my best to get it out and run it every once in a while over the winter and I at least try and go by and start it every so often. Could this be the source of my problem? I'm going to swing it by my local dealer get the fluids changed soon. Its long overdue.
Buy the service manual and service the bike yourself.You will spend thousands of dollars less by doing it yourself and then it will be done correctly.No one that is employed as a flat rate mechanic will ever spend as much time taking care of your motorcycle as you will.

·
Premium Member
11,352 Posts

10-15 seems real low unless you do a lot of wide open throttle exercises. Check your odometer against a known distance. Ride your car maybe 50 miles then do the same course with the bike. They should be close.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I don't use my gas gauge any more. I set the trip odometer and fill up around the 100 mile mark. Honestly, I have thought of using a dipstick. It would be more reliable.

Phatass

·
Registered
627 Posts
:them: I reset my trip meter every time I fill up. I start looking for a gas station at 100 miles. The most I ever went was 130 miles before I filled up. I still had gas so I am sure I can go further I just don't like pushing my luck or pushing my bike LOL

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
you must be using a metric calculator to get numbers that low on a stock engine

·
Premium Member
11,352 Posts
Or maybe he hasn't learned to shift out of first gear yet.

·
Beach Bum
2,189 Posts
Do you smell gas? 10-15MPG you have to be leaking somewhere or a whole bunch of unburnt gas is getting through.

Man, one year at bike week, crawling down Ocean Blvd., constantly revving the engine, i.e. the absolute worst gas mileage I have ever seen and I still got 29mpg.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
The worst gas mileage I ever got was during a day of nothing but twisties and back roads and never made it out of 3rd...22mpg

·
SHO NUFF
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I really appreciate the responses. I did some good riding for the first time in a while and I have some numbers now, which are still a bit troubling.

I rode 30.4 miles after filling up and my gas gauge was half empty. I filled it up as full as I could get it and put 1.432 gallons in it. That's 21.23 miles per gallon. Not exactly where I want to be and much lower than I should be getting. I am scheduled to have a 5K service done to it next Saturday and told my dealer about my concern.

For whoever suggested I fix my bike and maintain it, I wish I could but I simply do not have the time, know how, or patience to do it. I agree about a flat-rate mechanic not really caring and that troubles me, but I don't know what else to do. Hopefully its just a very dirty filter. I'm long over due for both an oil change and standard maintenence.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I really appreciate the responses. I did some good riding for the first time in a while and I have some numbers now, which are still a bit troubling.

I rode 30.4 miles after filling up and my gas gauge was half empty. I filled it up as full as I could get it and put 1.432 gallons in it. That's 21.23 miles per gallon. Not exactly where I want to be and much lower than I should be getting. I am scheduled to have a 5K service done to it next Saturday and told my dealer about my concern.

For whoever suggested I fix my bike and maintain it, I wish I could but I simply do not have the time, know how, or patience to do it. I agree about a flat-rate mechanic not really caring and that troubles me, but I don't know what else to do. Hopefully its just a very dirty filter. I'm long over due for both an oil change and standard maintenence.
I can dig your situation.I am an auto mechanic.If everyone was as handy as I am,I would be asking of you wanted plastic or paper for your bagged goods today.:)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts