Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The Big Bad Wolf
2010 DX
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody seen this before? I was planning on just replacing the gaskets on the water pump, but during the rebuild, found this. Anyone see this before? The new outer gasket feels like it wants to rub too, so I'm thinking I need a new pump altogether.

PXL_20210529_004331911.jpg PXL_20210529_004325034.jpg PXL_20210529_004305349.jpg PXL_20210529_004308580.jpg

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
First I've seen of that. Looks like high points on the impeller, since it's not making contact all the way around. Combo of that and gasket on a slight angle also. Both would be needed for that to happen in one spot like that.
Ron

·
Premium Member
2,346 Posts
Also be sure water pump cross engine intermediate drive shaft is snug in the bronze bearings it rides in as well - ( no up & down or in & out looseness ) and yes replace pump and torque down cover in a multiple star pattern to pull it down smoothly & evenly - you might want to check triple sprocket bolt for proper torque on the other end as well - that would require removing the alternator cover though which is a bit of a project on it's own, so if the shaft is not loose it should be OK on your newer bike but the older and especially '06's like mine had lot's of loose triple sprocket bolts.

·
The Hawk
3,908 Posts
Make sure the triple sprocket bolt is tight. If it is backed out a bit it can let the water pump shaft move out creating contact like shown.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
The Big Bad Wolf
2010 DX
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks, fellers. I ordered a pump yesterday and I'll tinker with it some more while waiting. Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: streetrodracer
1 - 6 of 6 Posts