Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Not Dead Yet
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing my rear wheel. The torque requirement is 100lbs. My Torque wrench goes to 80lbs. If I torque it to 80lbs. and give it an extra tug, will that suffice - or is it time to buy another torque wrench?
Thanks

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Good question.

Personally, I'd torque it to spec. Too important for guessing. I'd get the bigger torque wrench. :2cents:

RJ

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
bikerabbi said:
I am replacing my rear wheel. The torque requirement is 100lbs. My Torque wrench goes to 80lbs. If I torque it to 80lbs. and give it an extra tug, will that suffice - or is it time to buy another torque wrench?
Thanks
A bar-type torque wrench should only set you back about $30 or so. Get the wrench... but that being said, the only real danger I see in having it under-torqued is the potential for your belt to loosen up. Though I believe in torquing to spec, for decades I treated axle nuts as 'good-n-tight' with a large crescent wrench.

BTW - torque wrenches lose a lot of accuracy at the lowest and highest settings. Your 80 may not be 80.

·
Will Work For Mod $$
2,866 Posts
Buy a 1/2" drive torque wrench at Harbor freight for under $30. Like they said, to loose, belt loosens up, to tight, bearings seize up.....

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm pretty sure the torque on an 05 should be a lot more than 105, RJ posted the #s in a post I made about the values in my manual being different depending on where you were looking. If you look under belt tensioning it says 105 but under wheel replacement I think it's like 140 or 150lbs. But what ever it is I'd get the torque wrench.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
gromage1 said:
I'm pretty sure the torque on an 05 should be a lot more than 105, RJ posted the #s in a post I made about the values in my manual being different depending on where you were looking. If you look under belt tensioning it says 105 but under wheel replacement I think it's like 140 or 150lbs. But what ever it is I'd get the torque wrench.
Good point. If it's the 36mm bolt, the torque is about 150 ft-lbs. The 24mm bolts torque to 100 ft-lbs.

·
Will Work For Mod $$
2,866 Posts
gromage1 said:

Man, you better check the manual...140-150???

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yup,
I thought it seemed pretty high but thats what it says.

·
Not Dead Yet
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rjrivero said:
Good point. If it's the 36mm bolt, the torque is about 150 ft-lbs. The 24mm bolts torque to 100 ft-lbs.
You are right. Page 2-16 of the 2005 VRSCSE Manual Supplement says under installation note 8: Tighten axle nut to 140-150 ft-lbs.

Guess it's time for that new torque wrench!
Thanks everyone.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
mustanggt said:
Man, you better check the manual...140-150???
Trust me, I HAVE. I have a electrical manuals, Parts manuals, and service manuals for my 2003 and Ruthann's 2006. Sounds like a huge amount of torque, dosen't it?

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
rjrivero said:
Trust me, I HAVE. I have a electrical manuals, Parts manuals, and service manuals for my 2003 and Ruthann's 2006. Sounds like a huge amount of torque, dosen't it?
RJ,
This rear axle nut torque spec. is a concern I've had ever since I installed the '05 swing arm on my '02 VRSCA.

I asked HD on Juneau Ave. if the 140 to 150 ft·lb values were correct for the '05 axle nut and didn't get a good answer for why it's so much more than the touring models with the same axle nut.

I also asked Max about this a while back when the torque values for the 2006 VRSC were posted in the "V-Rod Tech" section of this forum. In this list the torque indicated for the rear axle nut is 95 to 105 ft·lbs.

Why is the 2006 VRSC different than the 2005 models?

The HD service manuals are full of errors (both printing errors and bad information) and these rear axle nut torque values need to be posted correctly.

I'm not fully convinced that excess torque will result in bearing failure (as stated in the manual) since the force is distributed through the bearing inner races and axle spacers from one side of the swing arm to the other and would likely result in axle or nut thread damage before a spacer would collapse and put load on an outer bearing race, however, I'd still like to hear from one of the HD VRSCA engineers what this torque spec. is and get an answer as to why the 2006 VRSC is different than the 2005 models.

·
Not Dead Yet
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
stever975 said:
RJ,
This rear axle nut torque spec. is a concern I've had ever since I installed the '05 swing arm on my '02 VRSCA.

I asked HD on Juneau Ave. if the 140 to 150 ft·lb values were correct for the '05 axle nut and didn't get a good answer for why it's so much more than the touring models with the same axle nut.

I also asked Max about this a while back when the torque values for the 2006 VRSC were posted in the "V-Rod Tech" section of this forum. In this list the torque indicated for the rear axle nut is 95 to 105 ft·lbs.

Why is the 2006 VRSC different than the 2005 models?

The HD service manuals are full of errors (both printing errors and bad information) and these rear axle nut torque values need to be posted correctly.

I'm not fully convinced that excess torque will result in bearing failure (as stated in the manual) since the force is distributed through the bearing inner races and axle spacers from one side of the swing arm to the other and would likely result in axle or nut thread damage before a spacer would collapse and put load on an outer bearing race, however, I'd still like to hear from one of the HD VRSCA engineers what this torque spec. is and get an answer as to why the 2006 VRSC is different than the 2005 models.
I called my dealer service dept. He said it indeed is now 140-150. Why? He said it was probably based on H-D's own internal experience. He said it is not unusual for some specs. to change.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
bikerabbi said:
I called my dealer service dept. He said it indeed is now 140-150. Why? He said it was probably based on H-D's own internal experience. He said it is not unusual for some specs. to change.
This doesn't answer my main question.

Why is the 2006 VRSC different than the 2005 VRSC?

If there isn't a difference, than Max needs to change the forum posted torque values.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
stever975 said:

If there isn't a difference, than Max needs to change the forum posted torque values.
I can't answer THAT question. I'm hoping someone can. I'll see what I can find out.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
stever975 said:

Are you sure there is a difference in the published values or are you taking someone's word on that? Sure wish I had my '06 service manual here at work....

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
stever975 said:
I'm going by what's posted here: http://www.1130cc.com/?page=torque

If the forum is posting torque values, I think they should be checked for accuracy.
Somebody transcribed those manually (not an easy task) but we can't be sure they are 100% error-free. Max - can you post a disclaimer? I think it's a nice resource for those who don't have manuals, and in the one or two cases I've checked, the values agreed with my book. If nobody gets to it before tonight, I'll check the published value when I get home.

·
1,738 Posts
bikerabbi said:
My Service Manual states only "Do not exceed 142 Nm (105 ft-lbs) when tightening the axel net: Exceeding 142Nm (105 ft lbs) will cause the wheel bearings to seize during vehicle operation, which could result in death or serious injury" Then goes on to speck: "tighten axle net to 129-142 Nm (95-105 ft lbs). I bet that the Dealer was giving you the Newton measurement.

Frankly, you cannot keep the right adjustment guide from turning above 100 ft lbs.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
V-Fred said:
My Service Manual states only "Do not exceed 142 Nm (105 ft-lbs) when tightening the axel net: Exceeding 142Nm (105 ft lbs) will cause the wheel bearings to seize during vehicle operation, which could result in death or serious injury" Then goes on to speck: "tighten axle net to 129-142 Nm (95-105 ft lbs). I bet that the Dealer was giving you the Newton measurement.
What year manual? 03?

V-Fred said:
Frankly, you cannot keep the right adjustment guide from turning above 100 ft lbs.
You have to keep a wrench on the axle (left side) while tightening the nut, else you'll screw up the belt tension. At least, that has been my experience.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts