Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
GySgt USMC
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant figure it out anyone had a rubbing sound from the left side of their rear wheel area? it sounds like metal... any input?

·
Registered
224 Posts
poly oil , comes in a tube from harley shop. put a little bit on belt.

·
Leonard Smalls
315 Posts
I had that recently after putting mine back together. The belt was running tight to the outside of the pulley (left). I ended up having to put a .054" shim between the left adjuster cam and the swingarm in order to get the belt to track correctly. Now the noise is gone. I hope what I did is OK - the service manual says there is no rear wheel alignment adjustment because 'the bike is made of good parts' or some crap like that.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
!

I had that recently after putting mine back together. The belt was running tight to the outside of the pulley (left). I ended up having to put a .054" shim between the left adjuster cam and the swingarm in order to get the belt to track correctly. Now the noise is gone. I hope what I did is OK - the service manual says there is no rear wheel alignment adjustment because 'the bike is made of good parts' or some crap like that.
HAHAHAHAHA! serious is that what the manual says! I had to shave my exhaust side cam off a quarter inch and go threw hell to get my belt to track straight!!! I tried the shim thing but it popped out and squished the pin on the axle so if anything it made things worse! Ya about those GOOD PARTS!! ahahhahahaha!!

·
GySgt USMC
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did just have my tires changed and that belt is really tight now. I'll try the oil, may just end up taking it back to the shop to have it checked out... can't be rolling at 95+mph till the noise is gone...

·
passionate fanatic
342 Posts
the two places noise can eminate from on the left side are the belt as mentioned here and then the cush drive inside the compensation pulley. they both are rubber/metal type noises that usually show up after the wheel has been put back on. both easily repaired the cush noise just needs lube usually a rubber lube that tire install places use to install tires. be careful to not overlube as excess will sling off and be ugly. the belt noise is a little bit trickier. I opened up the D slot on the rt hand side of my rear axle adjuster to allow the side to side adjustment/alignment. be very carefull to align the belt before adjusting the tension that way the belt is not too tight or crooked. the best way I have found to align the belt is support the rear of the bike and simply roll the wheel while watching where the belt rides in the pulley. changing the alignment will cause the belt to walk across the pulley dependant on which side the adjustment leans to. be also advised the wheel needs to roll freely in the bearings as they can cause some binding too.
hope this helps

1 - 8 of 8 Posts