Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an indie do my first tire change. The rear axle was seized and had to be driven out with a BFH. He put anti-seize on the axle and I expect it will come out easier this time. I'm going to pull the wheel myself from now on and let him mount the tire.

My question is- is it necessary to remove the exhaust slip-ons to get the axle out now that anti-seize has been applied?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Well... I have a D and I do. VERY tough to get a wrench on the nut otherwise - not sure what clearances are like on other models. Besides, even with anti-seize, you will still probably have to give the axle a few taps with a hammer and drift to get it out.

Bottom line - I'd pull the cans. Makes the whole job easier and keeps you from accidentally scratching or dinging the exhaust.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
as long as you can pull the axel out without hitting them then i would think no.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
If you remove the lower shock bolts (you have to remove the left side anyway to get the upper belt guard off) you can jack up the bike (let the swing arm drop) and get the axle to clear most exhaust systems.

I guess it depends on how hard it is to remove your exhaust. I usually take mine off just so I don't have to work around it.

·
Living Free...
11,581 Posts
Side note...that Anti Sieze is MESSY. Messy..messy...messy!!!!!!!!!!!

And just so you know...it does NOT come off carpet- when someone (cough Rob) walks across the floor with Anti Sieze on their feet!!!!:deal:

·
Nate
3,277 Posts
CUPCAKE said:
Side note...that Anti Sieze is MESSY. Messy..messy...messy!!!!!!!!!!!

And just so you know...it does NOT come off carpet- when someone (cough Rob) walks across the floor with Anti Sieze on their feet!!!!:deal:
Doesn't come out of jeans either....and those were my favorite....

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
stever975 said:
If you remove the lower shock bolts (you have to remove the left side anyway to get the upper belt guard off) you can jack up the bike (let the swing arm drop) and get the axle to clear most exhaust systems.

I guess it depends on how hard it is to remove your exhaust. I usually take mine off just so I don't have to work around it.
Thanks, I see how this would work. I was thinking I could put a torque wrench on the left side but it appears the belt adjustment eccentric is welded to the axle on that side. I'll have to pull the cans so I'll be able to use a torque wrench once the belt is adjusted.

Mike

·
Registered
690 Posts
Ive had mine off several times without touching the pipes. As fa as he anti sieze. One; wear latex gloves, it makes clean up so much easier amd two; it takes very little anti seize so no need to get carried away when you put it back together.

I use a crows foot in order to use a torque wrench with the pipes on. Ive also found when I tighten it down without it comes out damn close when I"ve checked it with a torque wrench.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts