Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
aka shudude
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to change the rear tire and the dealer wants $130 to do the job (I'm providing the tire). They only charge $40 if I just bring the wheel, so I'm thinking of doing it myself. After reading some of the "wheel" threads, it does'nt sound very easy for a first timer or is it? I dont want to mess something up but I want to learn to fix most of the stuff on my bike too, so I'm kinda torn between paying to have it done or doing it myself. How hard is it really to remove/install the rear wheel?

btw: I'm not much of a mechanic (can do basic stuff), but thanks to the Fourm I've started to more maintenance myself. Thanks in advance!

shoe

·
Registered
591 Posts
If this is the first tire change and the wheel hasn't been removed before, the axle will be seized and will have to be driven out with a big hammer and drift. The exhaust slip-ons will have to come off. They can be a bear! Keep wiggling and pulling, might take a while!

·
aka shudude
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HighTechHarley said:
If this is the first tire change and the wheel hasn't been removed before, the axle will be seized and will have to be driven out with a big hammer and drift. The exhaust slip-ons will have to come off. They can be a bear! Keep wiggling and pulling, might take a while!

Nope, this is the sixth rear tire that going on.

·
Another Ski season
2,631 Posts
I did it myself last winter mod season, (for the first time) not a biggie. Removing the exhaust was the worst part but not bad. It is easier if ya have two people to tighten the axle at the end; helps getting it tight and lined up properly.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
I'm with them; you can do this. You will need to torque the axle nut so need access to a torque wrench. I find that if your belt adjustment cams are set up correctly they will help you keep the wheel straight during torqueing. I use a motorcycle jack to lift the bike, and a scissor jack to handle the wheel/tire, and find this is a very easy way to do this job. Be careful when removing and installing the rear caliper as this is how your rear wheel gets scratched up.

·
aka shudude
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input!

·
SpeedoDocter
2,364 Posts
A manual is one of the essentials,buy good tools(no crap) and write beforehand whith a feltpen where the spacers andso camefrom.
I even placed a stripe of feltpen where the rear axle stood approx,it makes tentioning of the belt somwhat quicker
rest is i think already mentioned...good luck,take your time...you feel your a supertech ones you did this

·
Rollin' Hills
769 Posts
If You don't have a service manual (your PN---99501-03) now is the time to get one. Some folks dont see the cir-clip at the axle nut. Snap-on Tools and others have a set of the pliers you'll need now and in the future. Go for it man!! & Welcome to the wonderful world of Wrenchin'

1 - 9 of 9 Posts