Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To settle an argument...

Some knobhead has pointed out that Harleys have a rear wheel offset. That doesn't inlude V-Rods does it? Even the AW/DX?

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
Louis said:
To settle an argument...

Some knobhead has pointed out that Harleys have a rear wheel offset. That doesn't inlude V-Rods does it? Even the AW/DX?
I might be a knobhead but I thought non were offset from the MOCO. I wouldn't think HD would want the liability of an offset rear wheel/tire setup.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Biker Bill said:
I might be a knobhead but I thought non were offset from the MOCO. I wouldn't think HD would want the liability of an offset rear wheel/tire setup.
Ah - maybe I've been misinformed. I was taking the **** out of BMWs, and the bloke came back with this:

"> offset the rear wheel (early GS)

From the GB H-D Riders Club web-site:

'Modern Harley-Davidsons have the rear wheel offset somewhere between 8
and 13mm'

Maybe they have German engineers in Milwaukee?

Roy"

So, help me shoot him down willya?

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
I could be totally off base but the 5mm to 15mm offset might be limits on what is "acceptable" and not purposely built into the bike except for wider then stock wheel/tires. Then (as I'm sure you know) usually the pulleys are offset to compensate for the wider then stock wheel and tire combo. After all 5mm is IMHO a small offset... and that could be because of frame variations in production...now 15 is getting to be a bit much. I can not find anything from Harley saying an offset is built into the frame/wheel alignment. Other then this (as you mentioned)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts