Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
I'm not making the connection between the t sprocket and the valve timing. The bolt can't completely fall out until the cover is off, so it couldn't have jammed into the cam drive. The cams would not seize in the bores with reduced oil pressure either. For me, I'm still leaning on a major component failure, like rod or balancer in the case of the OP thread.
Ron
The cams didn’t seize. The crank seized on the con rods. Turns out lubrication is kind of important.

ADC1F24A-3A37-4908-930A-B687FB557D8E.jpeg

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
The cams didn’t seize. The crank seized on the con rods. Turns out lubrication is kind of important.

View attachment 604789 View attachment 604789 View attachment 604790
Agreed. Don't explain the piston hitting the valves though. Best I can come up with in the oil psi calculation is with the tripple sprocket bolt backed out, it would drop about 20 psi. This is based on late model pump producing about 30psi at hot oil temps in a healthy engine at idle. I run a gauge so I view this all the time. This would cause the idiot light to flicker at a 20 psi drop as it will be less then 10 psi. On the other side , at rpm the normal psi of 60-65psi would drop to 35-40 psi. Neither of which should stick a bearing as there is still lube and cooling effect at the bearing. Now a complete loss of pressure for a few seconds at high rpm could. A failure mode very hard to diagnose as it's the chicken or egg thing.
Ron

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
Cave Man 450 said he installed the triple sprocket bolt with locktite and re-torqued it a while back -I'm not saying it couldn't back out again but unless it when it loosened before the threads were messed up and it wasn't noticed or installed in a cross threaded false torque kinda thing I doubt it was the TS bolt - has anyone here EVER seen a triple sprocket bolt loosen up and back out AFTER it's been installed with locktite ?

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
Yes. The wheel started spinning once I got the clutch in. The skid mark was at least 16 feet (as long as my trailer) but I didn't measure it. I don't know for sure how fast I was going, but I would guess it was a bit over the posted limit.

Interesting that the slipper clutch didn't give me any "benefit" when the engine locked up. I thought the slipper may have given me a little bit of slip as the rear wheel started trying to drive the motor, but it didn't. Just locked up solid.
Here's what I've been asking for quite a while - all V Rodders beware - slipper clutch doesn't let rear wheel rotate after engine seizure - note to self - practice emergency clutch pull for instant muscle memory -

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Here's what I've been asking for quite a while - all V Rodders beware - slipper clutch doesn't let rear wheel rotate after engine seizure - note to self - practice emergency clutch pull for instant muscle memory -
It will reduce the instant down shift hard lock but one needs to think of the slipper as in more of a limited slip device rather the full disengage. You can still do hard decels with it and the rear wheel spooling up the engine is evident.
Ron

41 - 46 of 46 Posts