Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Glad you are ok. I had a road debris incident at 70 out in Wy rear locked up for nice 150 ft skid, but managed to get it stopped without damage to the bike. no clutch or braking made a difference. your "bike was able to roll when pushed " comment makes me think you picked something up. it happens fast and could have been ejected when it dumped. I restarted and rode mine to the next gas station to check everything. Again, glad you are good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Only seen this happen once. It was the tranny. 2nd gear exploded. Input and output shaft were bound together by broken gear teeth, broken forks, shift cam had teeth stuck behind it. Could rock the bike back and forth and the rear wheel would move freely until the broken fragments caught again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Caveman450... Is there any chance you could temporarily gain access to the bike so as to determine the true "root cause" of the problem? It would be helpful information for all..... Glad you are okay!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Caveman450... Is there any chance you could temporarily gain access to the bike so as to determine the true "root cause" of the problem? It would be helpful information for all..... Glad you are okay!!!
Thanks all again for the comments I appreciate it. I was gonna go down to the yard to snap a few pics and bring some tools to check it our but it was transported to copart in phx. I'll see if I can make an appointment with these folks, heard it's like pulling teeth, and check it out.

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
CaveMan 450 yea, I tried to get into CoPart Orlando to look at a Porsche & a bike but due to CV19 it was restricted to brokers and car dealers, no members only. But since it was your bike ( may still be ? ) you should be able to get in - you need a bright vest & safety glasses. Anyway it could have been an output bearing or tranny lock up as mentioned it might not be a connecting rod failure the key is to see where the oil is leaking from & figure out if that was at the source of the problem or happened after the bike hit the street. Did the bike low side to the left side then you landed on your shoulder or to the right then high sided and it tossed you off ? I'm also wondering if this was a similar failure that Motor Mike had on the other thread where somehow the connecting rod bolt hit the counterbalancer and locked it up. If you gain access try to start it -

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
CaveMan 450 yea, I tried to get into CoPart Orlando to look at a Porsche & a bike but due to CV19 it was restricted to brokers and car dealers, no members only. But since it was your bike ( may still be ? ) you should be able to get in - you need a bright vest & safety glasses. Anyway it could have been an output bearing or tranny lock up as mentioned it might not be a connecting rod failure the key is to see where the oil is leaking from & figure out if that was at the source of the problem or happened after the bike hit the street. Did the bike low side to the left side then you landed on your shoulder or to the right then high sided and it tossed you off ? I'm also wondering if this was a similar failure that Motor Mike had on the other thread where somehow the connecting rod bolt hit the counterbalancer and locked it up. If you gain access try to start it -
We'll see if I'm able to. I'm extremely busy right now since I just started a new job and now being put onto light duty cause of this wreck isn't making me look so hot with these guys.
The rear tire locked and I began fishtailing, the ass end went back and forth a bit, but it swung out wide to the right and highsided my ass where I landed on my right shoulder and the bike began to roll.
If I do discover anything, would I have a case against Harley? I don't wanna be that guy, but I did lose my bike.

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
I'm thinking it may have been in the transmission since you said you were shifting gears at the time - Did you have insurance ? Is it still your bike ? It's worth money - good used engines are only $ 1500 for an 1130cc $ 2500 - $ 3500 for a 1250cc - hate to see ya loose the whole thing !

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I'm thinking it may have been in the transmission since you said you were shifting gears at the time - Did you have insurance ? Is it still your bike ? It's worth money - good used engines are only $ 1500 for an 1130cc $ 2500 - $ 3500 for a 1250cc - hate to see ya loose the whole thing !
It's still my bike, but I am in the process of signing it off to insurance as a total loss.
If I sign the bike off to them I get the total cost of the bike plus fees back which is $6200. If I keep it they won't pay me anything. It's tempting to keep my bike, really is. But I'll have to drop a new engine in it, new handlebar, instrument cluster, airbox cover, tires, and possibly brake disks. The only thing that seems like it didn't get damaged was the frame.

I'm bummed out over it, but I think letting it go and buying another one would be the wisest option for me.

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
Yea, your're right if it's insured that's the smart move. If you knew what was wrong with it it would be one thing as sometimes guys buy their bike back from the Copart auction - it just depends what people bid on it. I've seen some pretty trashed bikes go for big bucks and the bidders lots of time don't even know about any hidden or engine internal or trans. damage. If you knew the cause and it was fixable you could buy it back for like $ 1000 - $ 1500 might be worth it but I bet it bids up to possibly $ 3000+. You could always take the $ and buy an as nice or nicer V Rod anyway. Hope you get to visit it to see if there's a hole in the case, turns over or starts & whether it shifts through the gears sitting there. If you can't visit it I understand your situation - and crashing SUCKS !

·
Registered
715 Posts
Yea, your're right if it's insured that's the smart move. If you knew what was wrong with it it would be one thing as sometimes guys buy their bike back from the Copart auction - it just depends what people bid on it. I've seen some pretty trashed bikes go for big bucks and the bidders lots of time don't even know about any hidden or engine internal or trans. damage. If you knew the cause and it was fixable you could buy it back for like $ 1000 - $ 1500 might be worth it but I bet it bids up to possibly $ 3000+. You could always take the $ and buy an as nice or nicer V Rod anyway. Hope you get to visit it to see if there's a hole in the case, turns over or starts & whether it shifts through the gears sitting there. If you can't visit it I understand your situation - and crashing SUCKS !
If you knew what was wrong with it.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Could it have been the triple Socket bolt coming loose like many are mentioning ? May have come loose and jammed up the engine.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Could it have been the triple Socket bolt coming loose like many are mentioning ? May have come loose and jammed up the engine.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
So I ran over to copart to check it out friday. Was unable to see my bike as there was only two people working there and a line that was forever long. Will attempt to see it again monday.

I doubt it was the tsb since I torqued it down with loctite awhile ago. If I ever get to see my damned bike I'll def check to see if it's there though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Well bad news gents. I finally was able to swing by copart again to hand over the poa but I'm not allowed to bring tools to inspect the bike.
On top of that I couldnt even look at it today cause they stop allowing people in the yard at 1600 which I didnt know.

I guess this is it. Sorry I couldnt figure out the cause.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Glad you are ok. I had a road debris incident at 70 out in Wy rear locked up for nice 150 ft skid, but managed to get it stopped without damage to the bike. no clutch or braking made a difference. your "bike was able to roll when pushed " comment makes me think you picked something up. it happens fast and could have been ejected when it dumped. I restarted and rode mine to the next gas station to check everything. Again, glad you are good.
Hey Sigma, sorry for the late reply but where did that debris get lodged to cause your wheel to lock up?

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
Yea, doubtful it was the tranny you'd think it would just stay locked up & not roll - but maybe it could break something in there big time and release ? I'm thinking something in the engine went - sounds like you were under higher power and shifting lots of times that's when things let go, may have dropped a valve or timing skipped and valve hit a piston. Could have knocked itself into neutral during the wreck or a tow driver, rescue or cop may have put it in neutral to get it off the road or on the truck - in any event oil leaking out sounds like a major failure. If both tires are still inflated and wheel spokes aren't bent or snapped and you didn't see any debris on the road ahead of you I doubt you picked something up - possible but not probable at the speed you were going - Good Luck Cave Man 450 let us know if you get another V Rod !

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
I know exactly what happened. Standby for a link to my story.
The screw for the water pump/oil pump backed out, resulting in an immediate loss of oil pressure. Bearings seized and engine seized.

edit: Engine locked up!

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
here is a post very simular to what happened....

The triple sprocket bolt on my 09 VRSCF backed out when the bike had 73 miles on it. Pistons hit valves, engine seized immediately, back tire locked. Red coolant started dripping out after I got it off the road. I asked the dealer to remove the triple sprocket bolt and reinstall with Loctite red, which they did. Has been running well since that second ride. There's been no in-between with the machine. It's either great, or very bad. Never so so.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
here is a post very simular to what happened....

The triple sprocket bolt on my 09 VRSCF backed out when the bike had 73 miles on it. Pistons hit valves, engine seized immediately, back tire locked. Red coolant started dripping out after I got it off the road. I asked the dealer to remove the triple sprocket bolt and reinstall with Loctite red, which they did. Has been running well since that second ride. There's been no in-between with the machine. It's either great, or very bad. Never so so.
I'm not making the connection between the t sprocket and the valve timing. The bolt can't completely fall out until the cover is off, so it couldn't have jammed into the cam drive. The cams would not seize in the bores with reduced oil pressure either. For me, I'm still leaning on a major component failure, like rod or balancer in the case of the OP thread.
Ron

21 - 40 of 46 Posts