Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well my 2006 VRSCD Night Rod is gone. I was cruising in a straight line about 50mph when out of no where my rear wheel locked up. I began fishtailing and attempted to come to a stop but my bike went sideways then threw me. I never touched the brakes during this event, my foot rests UNDER the pedal so I couldn't have accidentally mashed the brake. I want to reach out to the community to gain opinions on what could have caused this?

I inspected the bike after I got out of the hospital and the belt was still attached, the rear axle was still in place, the bike was able to roll when pushed, I peaked into the rear brake caliper assembly and didn't notice any foreign object. So I don't know what else to think of that would've caused this except for some kind of engine failure?

All thoughts and opinions are welcomed cause I would like to get another vrod one day, but not until I find out why this happened. I don't think I'd ever be able to trust them again until I do. Thanks.

Also this happened in Mesa, AZ so my bike would be auctioned off here soon by copart I think. Frame looks good, leaking oil now, handle bars bent, gauge destroyed, pegs bent but again frame is not torn.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Well my Night Rods gone. I was cruising in a straight line about 50mph when out of no where my rear wheel locked up. I began fishtailing and attempted to come to a stop but my bike went sideways then threw me. I never touched the brakes during this event, my foot rests UNDER the pedal so I couldn't have accidentally mashed the brake. I want to reach out to the community to gain opinions on what could have caused this?

I inspected the bike after I got out of the hospital and the belt was still attached, the rear axle was still in place, the bike was able to roll when pushed, I peaked into the rear brake caliper assembly and didn't notice any foreign object. So I don't know what else to think of that would've caused this except for some kind of engine failure?

All thoughts and opinions are welcomed cause I would like to get another vrod one day, but not until I find out why this happened. I don't think I'd ever be able to trust them again until I do. Thanks.

Also this happened in Mesa, AZ so my bike would be auctioned off here soon by copart I think. Frame looks good, leaking oil now, handle bars bent, gauge destroyed, pegs bent but again frame is not torn.
Don't know but the cause should be determined and possibly a report done to NSHTA if it turns out to be something mechanical that was beyond what you've done. Engine lock up as one example.
Ron

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
Oh Man CaveMan450 Major BUMMER ! Thank God you're OK ! Sounds like the engine locked up did you try to start it ? Did you look up underneath and try to see where oil is coming from ? What year is that bike '07 ? we've had discussions here regarding the newer models having a slipper clutch that might totally disengage in the event of an engine seizure, preventing rear wheel lock up -

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Oh Man CaveMan450 Major BUMMER ! Thank God you're OK ! Sounds like the engine locked up did you try to start it ? Did you look up underneath and try to see where oil is coming from ? What year is that bike '07 ? we've had discussions here regarding the newer models having a slipper clutch that might totally disengage in the event of an engine seizure, preventing rear wheel lock up -
Yup, I forgot to ask about whether it had a slipper or not. Reminds me of that rod hitting the cb of a few posts back.
Ron

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, I forgot to ask about whether it had a slipper or not. Reminds me of that rod hitting the cb of a few posts back.
Ron
clutch is original for an '06 VRSCD so i believe that's a no. Ill check out NSHTA, never heard of them, and fill out a report. Thank you for the replies!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, I'm an EMT so I know I could've gotten seriously messed up or killed. Especially since I had just gotten off the freeway to get gas and was about 100 yards from hopping back on. I definitely said my prayers that night.

So I didn't try to start it. I should've but it didn't enter my mind. I looked underneath and couldn't tell exactly where the leak was from. It was oozing around the right side oil pan, not the stator cover. So it could be from the oil filer, but idk. Also my bike was a 2006 Night Rod VRSCD. Forgot to add that in my OP. I never upgraded the clutch, so it's original with about 23,000 miles on the bike.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Thank you, I'm an EMT so I know I could've gotten seriously messed up or killed. Especially since I had just gotten off the freeway to get gas and was about 100 yards from hopping back on. I definitely said my prayers that night.

So I didn't try to start it. I should've but it didn't enter my mind. I looked underneath and couldn't tell exactly where the leak was from. It was oozing around the right side oil pan, not the stator cover. So it could be from the oil filer, but idk. Also my bike was a 2006 Night Rod VRSCD. Forgot to add that in my OP. I never upgraded the clutch, so it's original with about 23,000 miles on the bike.
Again just need to know what happened to the bike? What caused it? I read a lot of these and sometimes people dont finish telling WTF happened.Kinda like the person w/the rod bolts hitting balancer..:oops:

·
Registered
455 Posts
Glad you are OK. That sux for sure. Following this thread. Very curious what happened. Did you try pulling in clutch while this was happening? That would rule out engine seizing.

·
Registered
226 Posts
That is crazy. To bad you didn’t try to start the engine? The reason I asked is my engine locked up on me. Search on my user name and you will see the thread. Did you hear anything prior to the real wheel locking up?

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
Yea pulling the clutch in doesn't rule out the engine seizing it just lets the rider disengage the seized engine from the rear wheel if he doesn't have a slipper clutch ( And all of us brainy gear heads STILL don't know if a slipper clutch would totally disengage the gearbox from the seized engine until you get to 0 Mph ) I believe the '08 was the first year to be delivered with a slipper clutch, so ' 06 & '07 probably no slipper clutch. Mine is sitting on the workbench - ready for install in my new engine. BUT we just had a Tornado miss us by about 1 mile, it went right over and reportedly touched down at the one airport I work at ORL so I gotta go see if all my tools & equipment are all over the Fk'n place. In the meantime Cover your Clutch Levers Boys !

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Again just need to know what happened to the bike? What caused it? I read a lot of these and sometimes people dont finish telling WTF happened.Kinda like the person w/the rod bolts hitting balancer..:oops:
That's basically all I've got. I was riding in a straight line for about a 1/2 mile from making a U turn and then my wheel locked up. I got the after math on gopro, wish I was able to slap the record button but didn't have time, and a guy behind me said he saw the whole thing. "your wheel just locked up and you began fish tailing!"

But I did forgot to add that the dealership here installed a steel braided brake line for my rear caliper. They ran it along the frame close to the exhaust. This was 2 years ago and I never had problems before. I don't know if a caliper would close if the brake fluid boils?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad you are OK. That sux for sure. Following this thread. Very curious what happened. Did you try pulling in clutch while this was happening? That would rule out engine seizing.
that's what my dad asked me. I unfortunately did not try pulling in the clutch. I just let off the throttle completely and tried to control the bike. I shed off a lot of speed before I went down thankfully.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is crazy. To bad you didn’t try to start the engine? The reason I asked is my engine locked up on me. Search on my user name and you will see the thread. Did you hear anything prior to the real wheel locking up?
Ill check out your posts, thank you. I didn't hear anything prior to my wheel locking up. I do wear ear pro while I ride though cause my bike was LOUD.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea pulling the clutch in doesn't rule out the engine seizing it just lets the rider disengage the seized engine from the rear wheel if he doesn't have a slipper clutch ( And all of us brainy gear heads STILL don't know if a slipper clutch would totally disengage the gearbox from the seized engine until you get to 0 Mph ) I believe the '08 was the first year to be delivered with a slipper clutch, so ' 06 & '07 probably no slipper clutch. Mine is sitting on the workbench - ready for install in my new engine. BUT we just had a Tornado miss us by about 1 mile, it went right over and reportedly touched down at the one airport I work at ORL so I gotta go see if all my tools & equipment are all over the Fk'n place. In the meantime Cover your Clutch Levers Boys !
Hey, a miss is a miss;) Hopefully all is well my guy!(y)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ill check out your posts, thank you. I didn't hear anything prior to my wheel locking up. I do wear ear pro while I ride though cause my bike was LOUD.
Mine made a very loud noise like metal hitting another piece of metal. I pulled the clutch in so no Rear lockup. However I was going slow making a turn.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Yea pulling the clutch in doesn't rule out the engine seizing it just lets the rider disengage the seized engine from the rear wheel if he doesn't have a slipper clutch .
I didn't word it properly.
My thinking was if he pulled the clutch in then it was after the engine. Output shaft, caliper, something stuck in wheel.... But I'm sure it happened so fast that it was one of those wtf moments and it's over. Hard to think think straight when sh*t happens.

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Doubt the rear brake like would be the cause. That would show up as a slower drag event. Cracked brake disc catching the pad might but it would likely do a partial hit and tear the pad off and continue rolling. My bet is broken rod as that's the only solid event that could lock it fast and remain locked. Might explain the oil too. Having a slipper likely will prevent a hard lock up or at least offer enough time to gather ones thoughts to pull the clutch in. All I know is during a tuning session a long time ago, I rolled the throttle back at about 30-40 mph and the engine stalled. No hard decel feel out of the ordinary. Just like a bit more aggressive engine braking and the next thing I know the engine restarted from this slow motion push start effect. Glad you are ok Danny. One other thing. Having had a panhead trans lock up once at slow speed, by chance were you shfting gears right at the point it locked up or just cruising. The panhead lock up was from a snap ring coming out of the groove and allowing to gears to engage at the same time. That cracked the trans case with oil dumping to the ground. Weird part is the bike would roll after that when loading it on the truck.
Ron

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
Sounds like catastrophic engine failure ( connecting rod, from possibly a dropped valve with a piston hit ) failure to me as well. SUCKS. Cave Man450 if you can go back one more time and take some photos of the lower case, see if a rods sticking out of a cracked or broken case - this seems strange at 23K miles for a Revo - what Rpm and load was the engine at just prior to lockup ? Accelerating pretty good after your U turn, then you just started even speed cruising at 50 Mph in 4th gear or so ? Thx. BTW yea, Cave Man a miss is a miss ! one Tornado missed my hangar at ORL by 1/4 mile my house by 1 mile, then a second Tornado basically sucked back up in the clouds right over our little city north of Orlando. Things got suddenly quiet with no rain - a freaky eerie quiet before the Tornado kinda feeling. :oops: Anyway glad you're OK ! I don't know if you guys saw Colonel Allen Wests 75 Mph bike accident but he says always wear all your gear - the helmet saved his head - he still got a concussion but his face got torn up so probably not a full face - his arms lost lots of skin - extremely painful so always wear even a breathable summer jacket with elbow guards and gloves ( which he decided to remove due to the heat - just tore his hands up ) You never know when your motorcycle engine might lock up or when you might get cut off and go sliding down the road, not very fun in shorts, tee shirt, no helmet, arm protection or gloves. Avoid being the uncooked hamburger meat man. Stay Safe. ;)(y)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds like catastrophic engine failure ( connecting rod, from possibly a dropped valve with a piston hit ) failure to me as well. SUCKS. Cave Man450 if you can go back one more time and take some photos of the lower case, see if a rods sticking out of a cracked or broken case - this seems strange at 23K miles for a Revo - what Rpm and load was the engine at just prior to lockup ? Accelerating pretty good after your U turn, then you just started even speed cruising at 50 Mph in 4th gear or so ? Thx. BTW yea, Cave Man a miss is a miss ! one Tornado missed my hangar at ORL by 1/4 mile my house by 1 mile, then a second Tornado basically sucked back up in the clouds right over our little city north of Orlando. Things got suddenly quiet with no rain - a freaky eerie quiet before the Tornado kinda feeling. :oops: Anyway glad you're OK ! I don't know if you guys saw Colonel Allen Wests 75 Mph bike accident but he says always wear all your gear - the helmet saved his head - he still got a concussion but his face got torn up so probably not a full face - his arms lost lots of skin - extremely painful so always wear even a breathable summer jacket with elbow guards and gloves ( which he decided to remove due to the heat - just tore his hands up ) You never know when your motorcycle engine might lock up or when you might get cut off and go sliding down the road, not very fun in shorts, tee shirt, no helmet, arm protection or gloves. Avoid being the uncooked hamburger meat man. Stay Safe. ;)(y)
I'll try and get some pics eventually. Bikes sitting at a tow yard awaiting insurance to pick it up. I was rippin my bike to 50mph in 2nd about to shift gears to 3rd to cruise but the failure occurred before I did anything.

And thanks to everyone for their opinions on this. I'm still trying to wrap my head around what happened and dealing with the after affects. And definitely wear a helmet! I took my leathers off cause it was too hot:cry: paid the price for that one. Honestly the rr isn't as bad as it could've been. Problem is the ac shoulder seperation

Attachments

·
NSFW
1,984 Posts
Did someone already mention this? One possibility is the output shaft bearing could have locked up. Pulling the clutch would not have helped you in this case.

I had this bearing go out on my R at 54k miles. It started crunching and leaking oil out of the side of the case. Pulled it apart and the plastic cage holding the ball bearings in place had disintegrated. If yours did this I believe that the balls could have bound up and locked the rear tire.

Doc

1 - 20 of 46 Posts