Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Todd
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jack up the bike and secure it. Remove the upper and lower belt guards (need 5mm and 8mm allen wrenchs and a 19mm wrench). Don't remove the lower shock bolt for alignment purposes. Next open your 1st beer. :cheers:

Attachments

·
Todd
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
On the right side remove the snapring, axle nut and adjuster. I removed the exhaust for the pictures but think it help make the job easier. Now you can release the belt pressure on the other side with a wrench on the axle nut (the nut is welded to the axle).

Attachments

·
Todd
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take the belt off the pulley. Tap the axle out till it clears the brake caliper and then bungy cord it up. Then pull the axle all the way out while supporting the tire (don't lose the spacers, the right side is the small one). Take a beer break.

Attachments

·
Todd
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Remove the pulley with a hard tug and then you can use a 11mm 12 point socket to remove the drive hub. On the other side use a 45W torx bit to remove the brake rotor. I then polished the drive hub, brake rotor and the outside ring of the pulley. If you have never polished anything before it is hard, dirty work. I am buying a custom pulley later. Just my :2cents:

Attachments

·
Todd
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Install the brake rotor on the new wheel, alternately torque the bolts to 35ft lbs with loctite. Install the drive hub (compensator bowl) by tightening them to 50ft lbs. Install the compensator cushion with a little windex for lubrication (make sure you can read "pulley side"). Insert the grooved end of the compensator spacer into the cushion. Now mate the pulley to the hub.

Attachments

·
Todd
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The hard part

Slide the wheel in and put the belt over the pulley. I did not want to scratch my new rim so I removed the right passenger peg mount and moved the brake caliper up and out of the way. I supported the wheel while I pushed the axle in thru the thick spacer and into the wheel (careful not to scratch your pulley). Be sure you put a little never sieze on the bearing races and axle. Once thru the wheel I moved the caliper into position and held the small spacer while inserting the axle all the way thru. (NO Pictures of this as it was a hard 2 person, 2 beer job). Now slip on the axle adjuster to match the left side. Put a little loctite on the axle nut flange and finger tighten. Check brake and axle alignment then adjust the belt deflection using a wrench on the left side. Tighten axle nut to 100ft lbs and install snap ring. Replace belt guards, watching if they will rub. Mine do not (just a pubic hair away). Now finish your six pack and admire that bad VROD. :cheers:
PS Don't take a spin till that beer wares off.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts