Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever had the bearing on the pulley or rear wheel go out while cruising? I was doing about 80 to 85 when I started hearing an awful metal grinding sound the bike felt like I had a flat on the rear. I pulled off the highway and the tires were fine, but there was a bunch of grease all of over the pulley, wheel and tire. Looks and sounds like the bearing just disenegrated on me. I'm going to pull it all apart tonight and inspect it in more detail. I gave Hog Pro a call to see if they have bearings for these in stock.

·
Insane inda membrane
13,002 Posts
I've torn up a few pulley bearings.

If you're using an aftermarket wheel, and it has a single row bearing and not the standard V-Rod bearing, and you ride aggressively, that bearing probably can't stand the abuse. I'm running a Hogpro rear wheel and pulley.

I had to have my pulley machined slightly so the standard V-Rod bearing could be installed. The problem never happened again.

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is probably what happend. I was riding pretty aggressive, I do have a turbo and the wheel and pully is very similar to your setup. I will PM you for more details.

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is what I found

I removed the wheel and pulley and this is what started falling out from the pulley. I don't believe this is normal. I'm not sure if the pulley is screwed or not yet. I have to remove the cush drive sprocket from the pulley first. This is a Hog Pro pulley and wheel which is slightly different than the stock setup.

Attachments

·
Agave Idiots :)
337 Posts
:laugh:
Looks like a normal bearing disintegration to me. Glad nothing serious happened to anything else.

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is the best way to remove the outer bearing race that is still in the pulley? The inner race, seal and bearings came out, but I have to remove the outer race and a bearing tool will not work. I was thinking about using a dremel to carefully cut through the race and then remove with a flat head screw driver and a little force.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
What is the best way to remove the outer bearing race that is still in the pulley? The inner race, seal and bearings came out, but I have to remove the outer race and a bearing tool will not work. I was thinking about using a dremel to carefully cut through the race and then remove with a flat head screw driver and a little force.
I'm curious why a bearing puller won't grab it?

·
EXCELSIOR
8,373 Posts
Two techniques I've used is to get a welder to run a TIG pass around the ID of the race. As it cools the weld metal will shrink the ring and it will nearly fall out.
Or get a machinist to machine a couple spots away from the back side of the retaining seat pocket so you can knock it out from the back side. A couple spot face dimples 180° apart down to the level that exposes the edge of the race will work. Then a pin punch and hammer will work it out easily.

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, I took to a mechanic and he used an air hammer to knock it out from the back side. He pressed in my new bearing and even smoothed out some of the burring that the exploded bearing caused. Looks like it will work. I installed the Harley bearing that comes stock in their version of the pulley so hopefully this one will hold up better than the last one. I have a little bit of scaring on the axle that I need to smooth out with some sand paper and I will be able to re-install this and get back on the road.

·
Greg
604 Posts
I've torn up a few pulley bearings.

If you're using an aftermarket wheel, and it has a single row bearing and not the standard V-Rod bearing, and you ride aggressively, that bearing probably can't stand the abuse. I'm running a Hogpro rear wheel and pulley.

I had to have my pulley machined slightly so the standard V-Rod bearing could be installed. The problem never happened again.
Glad I found this thread, and the ones you posted in 2009 and 2011. Same thing happened to me last night, pulley bearing disintegrated while riding -- truth is, it has probably been failing for a while and I just didn't know what the issue was (running Renegade wheels and pulley purchased through Hogpro)! I'm going to stop by a local bike shop and see if they can fix it, but I may haul the bike up to Steve's shop and take advantage of the experience gained in working on yours! Hopefully the bearings end up being the only damage, and not the pulley or anything else.

·
Insane inda membrane
13,002 Posts
Glad I found this thread, and the ones you posted in 2009 and 2011. Same thing happened to me last night, pulley bearing disintegrated while riding -- truth is, it has probably been failing for a while and I just didn't know what the issue was (running Renegade wheels and pulley purchased through Hogpro)! I'm going to stop by a local bike shop and see if they can fix it, but I may haul the bike up to Steve's shop and take advantage of the experience gained in working on yours! Hopefully the bearings end up being the only damage, and nopt the pulley or anything else.
Must be an epidemic going on. We had 2 bikes at MWT7 that trashed rear bearings... get new bearings for V-Rod and maybe you're local shop can install... or take it to Steve... he'll fix it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Same thing has happend to me twice. First with Hogpro fit bearing and now again just recently with the standard v-rod bearing. Not sure what causes it but the last one lasted about 15k miles.

EDIT:
I have the dynojet quick shift setup and I use it a lot. Could this be the cause of the shortened life?

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
Ah Chit. I have Renegade Wheels and Pulley from HP on my 1402 now. EEK.

·
brett
9,338 Posts
yup ,ive done my rear bearing on my hp wheel and pulley as well ,i now run a single race,as a packer with a double race on the outside ,seems to have worked fine ,so far

·
Greg
604 Posts
Ah Chit. I have Renegade Wheels and Pulley from HP on my 1402 now. EEK.
My guess, you'll be replacing parts at some point in time.

My wheels were installed in 2007, so out of warranty. I still sent an email to Hogpro and Renegade to see if they would provide any support. I heard from Hogpro within hours and they offered parts at cost. Excellent customer service in my opinion! It's been almost a week and I haven't received any response from Renegade.

It's been an education for me. From what I have been told, it seems the disintegrating bearing problem applies to after market wheels installed on more Harley's than just V-Rods. One thing I was told, indicated as being a potential cause of the problem, is that most after market wheels use a similar sport bike cush drive instead of the stock type that H-D uses. The after market cush being built into the far left side section of hub and the pulley bolts directly to it. I'm no mechanic, but seemingly on our V-Rods this leads to there not being enough strength at this section of the hub, resulting in failures. The guy at my local shop has done some machining on after market components to accept larger bearings (much like previously described by Kurt). I'm hoping this works for me. I'd hate to think about replacing failed bearings every 5,000 to 7,000 miles. What I don't understand, if this issue is really due to poor design, is why the after market companies aren't made to follow some type of recall process.

Good luck. Keep an eye on things as your mileage climbs!

·
Kaiser Sysop
74 Posts
I just had to put in a new bearing on my hog pro as well. Now, If I could only remember which spacers went where... Anyone have a good diagram or photo?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts