Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear tire is looking pretty sad as i come to the end of my riding season. It seems like everyone and their dog wants a fatter rear tire but I've only ridden on my 03 rod with the stock tire size and stock rims. I like the fat tire look, but part of me wants to stick with the regular tire because I've heard some people say fatter tires wear faster in the middle. I also lean my bike over pretty far on a regular basis (pegs dragging) going around corners and turns. That being said, I've never ridden on a very fat tire and one could only assume that the fatter you go, the harder it is to turn, but i may be completely wrong about that. With all of that in mind, what tire size would you guys recommend?

·
Registered Useless
590 Posts
I found the 200 optimum in handling and very nimble. With a 240 you need to push it harder in the corners, but you get used to it. As far as losing horsepower with a 240 - minuscule. Make up for it by running a lighter rim like an F' wheel. And as far as poorer fuel mileage, again, minuscule. Try to stay off the Interstate as much as possible. V-rod's, no matter the tire size or number of sprocket teeth, gulp fuel the faster they have to rev. My fuel mileage drops as much as 50% running on 65-70 mph Interstates vs 50-mph county roads.

·
Life is great!
783 Posts
I used a 200 Avon Cobra tire for almost 3 years. Higher profile, better in the turns than the Stock 180 Dunlop. The Cobra made my bike look like a dirt bike with the naked fender. Had to trim some stuff under the fender. 200 Metz is wider with a lower profile. Still doesn't fill the fender out to my liking.

Went with the 240 Metz, plus trimming the remainder under the fender and the brake tab on the swing arm. Love the feel and look of the Metz (fills the fender out perfectly). Feels like I am glued to the road. No issues in the turns for me. My mileage stayed the same regardless of Hwy cruisin or in the twisties. Very happy with the 240 switch and for now will be sticking with the Metz.

·
Registered
126 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
The fender struts may have to be trimmed to clear the sidewall on some 200 tires.
The VRSCR is a different animal and does not have that clearance issue due to taller frame and suspension.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts