Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Desert Rod
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped my 180 Bridgestone Excedra in the rear yesterday, for an Avon 200/55vr18 AV92.

It's been one day, and about 200 miles later, I do not like the 200.

I took a canyon today, and the bike needs to be PUSHED into a turn, it doesn't feel nimble at all.

With my 180, the bike dropped into turns a LOT easier.

Just last weekend, I went on a canyon run, and the bike was dropping into turns, left and right, wearing its weight well.

Today she seems really stubborn going into turns.

Anyone noticed the same change with a 200 tire conversion?

·
Premium Member
11,289 Posts
The fatter the tire the worse it handles in turns. You should try a 240 if you think the 200 is bad. Fat tires are only for looks.

Reactions: bogie

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
The fatter the tire the worse it handles in turns. You should try a 240 if you think the 200 is bad. Fat tires are only for looks.
Absolutely. Fat tires suck, plain and simple. Imagine what the people that put 300s on them and the poor handling it gives. Of course they will tell you it handles great and you do get use to it's poor cornering traits or should I say accept it but my personal experience climbing off of a 240 and a skinner tire bike , I just about crash from it over turning my inputs at first.
Ron

·
Desert Rod
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can tell! I was told Avon 200s handled really well, but it's turning out to be a forum myth.

Once this tire wears out, I'm back on a 180.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Well, my $.02 here. I think the fatter the tire the better the handling... Just Kidding... Not that it matters at this point, but to be fair, maybe a 180 Avon wouldn't corner as well as your previous tire either. I'm not arguing the big tire issue at all, just apples to apples.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I can't really answer that. I've never really heard anything particularly bad about them, but I like mine. Although I have an Avon 250, it handles very well. I would say it has about the same agility as a wheelbarrow full of wet concrete. But if you know how to handle a wheelbarrow then you are all set.;)

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Are Avons bad-handling tires overall?
I think what Moler meant was that maybe you would have felt the difference between the 180 Avon and the 180 Bridgestone , so not necessarily just the size difference. I don't think he was saying that the Avons are bad.

·
Desert Rod
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think what Moler meant was that maybe you would have felt the difference between the 180 Avon and the 180 Bridgestone , so not necessarily just the size difference. I don't think he was saying that the Avons are bad.
Ah, that makes sense.
I really loved my Bridgestone, just wanted to try something new.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
robertereyes - First off I hope you meant 200/50VR 18 not 55 that's quite tall but it should make it handle better not worse except for the spinning weight ( and would lower cruise rpm's ) - I've had the Excedra, a few Avons and now the Cruisetec all 180/55ZR 18 on my StreetRod and I gotta say I liked the Avon and it looked a bit wider than the other two but also has a flatter profile ( especially when it flat spots in the center down here in flat FL.) so steering off center is more difficult, and more resistant to just falling into the turns. Cruisetec and Excedra's a more rounded profile, better on the R which was made to turn better and Cruisetec's harder dual compound rubber will resist flat spotting much longer than single compound Avon with the A-VBD belt density trick. So Cruisetec's about the same as Excedra's rounded profile while bringing better dual compound rubber and a carcass that holds it's rounder shape better than an Avon with A-VBD to the table. The new Cobra Chromes are better than the older ones, but Avon may have to redesign now that the Cruisetecs are available as they are truly a better tire for twisty roads. In any event be sure your shocks are up to # 4 on the preload step that helps and Good Luck ! I wanted a 200 but you made me feel better that I opted for the Cruisetec. (y) :geek:

·
Desert Rod
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
robertereyes - First off I hope you meant 200/50VR 18 not 55 that's quite tall but it should make it handle better not worse except for the spinning weight ( and would lower cruise rpm's ) - I've had the Excedra, a few Avons and now the Cruisetec all 180/55ZR 18 on my StreetRod and I gotta say I liked the Avon and it looked a bit wider than the other two but also has a flatter profile ( especially when it flat spots in the center down here in flat FL.) so steering off center is more difficult, and more resistant to just falling into the turns. Cruisetec and Excedra's a more rounded profile, better on the R which was made to turn better and Cruisetec's harder dual compound rubber will resist flat spotting much longer than single compound Avon with the A-VBD belt density trick. So Cruisetec's about the same as Excedra's rounded profile while bringing better dual compound rubber and a carcass that holds it's rounder shape better than an Avon with A-VBD to the table. The new Cobra Chromes are better than the older ones, but Avon may have to redesign now that the Cruisetecs are available as they are truly a better tire for twisty roads. In any event be sure your shocks are up to # 4 on the preload step that helps and Good Luck ! I wanted a 200 but you made me feel better that I opted for the Cruisetec. (y) :geek:

1. It's the 200/55 tire. I figured it would be taller and turn better, since it would be taller and forced to be rounder. But so far, no such luck.

2. I should've gotten a StreetRod! Haha trade? (; Lol

3. Stick with the 180 please! Lol the 200 appears to be just for looks, and honestly I can't tell the difference (especially since I removed the rear fender entirely, there's no fender filling).

4. I definitely need to adjust the suspension to a much stiffer setting.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had a similar experience when I purchased a 2009 VRSC coming off a 2005 VRSCB. I had to push hard to get it to lean in turns. I traded the 2009 a year later and when with a Street Glide.

·
Registered
34 Posts
A 200 will never corner as well as a 180. All race bikes have a 180 rear tire, what does that tell you?
200 or more is for looks only.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Yea, many race bikes have 190's as well, but I never found one in a 18" wheel they're all 17" wheels - That newer 200 Bridgestone Battlax for the V Max looks like it has a more rounded profile it may turn better than most of the other 200's out there but it's heavy - almost 5 Lbs. heavier than the 180 Cruisetec - it's got a higher weight rating and a lower 149 mph speed rating ( plenty ) so it may be a better option for someone that's just gotta have a 200 but wants it to possibly steer better. Its about $ 40 cheaper than the Cruisetec as well. I almost did that 200 Battlax tire but none in stock right before Bike Week in Daytona - if anyone tries one please report back how well you like it !

·
Desert Rod
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UPDATE

So, I have about 1000 miles on the AV92.

It definitely required some breaking in.

The tire definitely has a more rounded profile, and I've noticed the handling has improved, especially when paired with my Excedra 110 up front.

However, it is still not as great as the 180 Excedra.

The plus side of the AV92, it raises the entire rear end about 1", so it handles great for a 200, but nowhere near an Excedra 180.

Low speeds, it is pretty good. It does not like high speed turns like my Excedra.

i will still be going back to an Excedra when this AV92 is done.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yea, many race bikes have 190's as well, but I never found one in a 18" wheel they're all 17" wheels - That newer 200 Bridgestone Battlax for the V Max looks like it has a more rounded profile it may turn better than most of the other 200's out there but it's heavy - almost 5 Lbs. heavier than the 180 Cruisetec - it's got a higher weight rating and a lower 149 mph speed rating ( plenty ) so it may be a better option for someone that's just gotta have a 200 but wants it to possibly steer better. Its about $ 40 cheaper than the Cruisetec as well. I almost did that 200 Battlax tire but none in stock right before Bike Week in Daytona - if anyone tries one please report back how well you like it !
It steers a lot better. Slow sharp turns are much easier, very stable at speed. I think the front tire is quite a bit taller. It's pretty close to the front fender. Stock front size, 200 on back. First tire I've tried that I really liked on the VRSCA (Dunlop, Metzler, Avon)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts