Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if anyone has had the rear stop light switch go bad? What a pain in ars to remove switch without removing exhaust. sullivancorner

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
sullivancorner said:
Was wondering if anyone has had the rear stop light switch go bad? What a pain in ars to remove switch without removing exhaust. sullivancorner
Several reported switchs have gone bad. I have never changed one but can see how they might be difficult to change without the proper socket and it is a special tool. It is truly one of the hold overs on our bike from the 50's, the first time I saw a switch like that was on a 42 MB flat fender I had, no really it was. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
In the middle of my replacement....

I just came in from the garage....

I have the exhaust off now and it really wasn't bad at all- just followed the service manual instructions. I followed some earlier posts about using the NAPA part number sl-147 for the rear stoplight switch. Well, it sure does NOT work for the VRSCD. After looking more closely in the service manual, the VRSCD & R are different than the others. The wiring harness is a bit different. The two pins are closer together on the D than the sl-147. Anyway, I'm going to run to the dealer tomorrow and see if I can get this part.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The rear stop light switch is one of the first items the dealer had in stock that worked on my vrod. Normally have to order everything.

sullivancorner

·
Two Wheels Or A Prop
163 Posts
Know the feeling... the dealer had mine instock but there is a thread on here where they give you the part number for a NAPA part that works as well. It was less than $20 at the dealer and slightly different than the one I removed. I did mine without removing the stock exhaust but had to use an array of wrenches, pliers, and um, other things to get the old one out. It really wasn't that bad if you have a bit of patients.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts