Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
To boost or not??
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, need some help figuring out some spacer issues....I think. Just to give you some background last winter I did a cheap 240 conversion. I have a 08 aw wheel(with 1" bearings), my stock pulley machined down, 08 brake rotor and caliper. I'm still not positive that i have the tire centered and the spacers right. I just need to figure out how to go about measuring them out and making sure the tired is centered.

When i put it all together with my stock spacers i have to much play. Now I'm not sure if this is because the brake bracket is skinner on the 08 then the older 05. If so that can be easily fixed just use my stock left spacer and find the difference in the brackets size.

Or if it is from a combo of the bracket and that the bearings are slightly recessed into the hub on the 08 wheel unlike that 05 was.

Any help/tips/suggestions I will be open to. Just want to make sure that I have this back end correct, i want to try and build a hard mounted swingarm this winter and having the tire lined up right will help a lot lol.

·
To boost or not??
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alright so after doing some digging and research it seems like the swingarm for the 07 and up bikes are not much more different then ours. Sounds like they both are 11.5" wide. So I'm wondering now if i can get a hold of an 07 and newer pulley & compensator bowl that then i could use the stock spacers correct? And I wouldn't have to worry about trying to judge the correct spacers. And even then i could go and either pick up a 25mm Axel and use all the stock Harley bearings or have mine turned down.

Granted this would cost alot more then just getting the right size spacers made lol

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
All swingarms measure 11.5 inches.

The difference is they are longer and thicker in the axle area and the brake perch cut.

The stock tube used for the wheel spacers annd sleeves are the same stock only the lenghs are different.

What makes eveything so hard is the wheel hubs are machined different in the bearing pockets.

Bearings are not a problem anymore.

·
To boost or not??
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So seeing how much its going to cost me to pick up the pulley, spacers are the cheaper way to go. Where should I start on making sure I have the rear brake aligned correctly.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
Rotorr should be centered to the caliper

·
ramma jamma
687 Posts
u think he meant rear wheel centered correctly rsc? if so D, I think that deal per Ray Connor (Thanks Ray!) is....

If your tire seems to be bias to one side and you would like to center it this can be done by the front tie link by your oil filter. Someone with the right tools extensions, crowsfeet, etc, can do this from the left side of the vehicle. Even with those tools it is tricky. Most just may want to loosen the lower rad support bar and get some room to get up under it and loosen the two jam nuts on the tie link. One is left and thread and one is right hand thread. Then turn the middle nut left or right. This will move the motor which your swingarm and tire are hooked to. A small turn in front actually moves quite a bite by the time you get 4 feet back at the rear. So you will have to play with it and see which way you need to move it and get it centered, and tighten those jam nuts back up.

·
Big Ugly fun guy
272 Posts
Well When I did my 260 conversion ( posted elsewhere). I spent time measuring with the rubber cushion and brake rotor off. The rubber will hold the wheel out of the bowl and give you a false measurement. I got an 08 wheel, pulley and bowl from a a buddy for $450 and put it together. Luckily, I had a lathe at work. Dont touch the brake side. I ended up cutting about 0.075 off the bowl, boring the counter bore inside the bowl to match, then making 2 additional spacers ( 1 inside 1 outside the pulley) to get the pulley to be equal distance from the swing arm and tire. I think the outer was 0.125 and the inner 0.220 but you should check your own. Basically, measure your 180 setup and that will give you the inner distance to target. Next tire change I'll make single spacers. I had to grind the casting flash inside the swingarm to help with the clearence but that wasn't a problem. The brake slide needs to be cut to claer the rotor but that easy with a sawzall and dremel. Reassembly sucks with the rubber fighting you but with the brake rotor off its a lot easier, ( thanks Sharky). I've put maybe 4500 miles on it since and love the look. Sure do have to lean over around corners a lot more.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
he already done the 240 just want to center it.

How does the tire wear look got any pics?

·
reservation dogs
1,993 Posts
wheels on the '07 up use a narrower wheel bearing, you need either the earlier bearings or the later spacers, also you need the spacer for the Brembo caliper it is a different width, a set of spacers from an '07 bike will fix your problem if you use '07 wheel bearings.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
wheels on the '07 up use a narrower wheel bearing, you need either the earlier bearings or the later spacers, also you need the spacer for the Brembo caliper it is a different width, a set of spacers from an '07 bike will fix your problem if you use '07 wheel bearings.
How is the brembo caliper different? I did the swap on my 04 and only worried about axle size, not width?

·
New Kid
28 Posts
All swingarms measure 11.5 inches.

The difference is they are longer and thicker in the axle area and the brake perch cut.

The stock tube used for the wheel spacers annd sleeves are the same stock only the lenghs are different.

What makes eveything so hard is the wheel hubs are machined different in the bearing pockets.

Bearings are not a problem anymore.
Am I reading that correctly? The way I read it, to convert to the wider wheel... you just need all the rear-end parts from a newer model... except the swingarm. The swingarm itself just needs to be modified at the brake perch.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
Am I reading that correctly? The way I read it, to convert to the wider wheel... you just need all the rear-end parts from a newer model... except the swingarm. The swingarm itself just needs to be modified at the brake perch.
We wish it was that easy.

The newer swingarms are longer and thicker in the axel area.

Offset pulleys ect...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts