Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a set of rear shocks for my 08’ VRSCD. We ride 2 up (about 300# total). Called up Progressive Suspension, and they told me 444-4071 shocks are what I need. Ordered them and they are too short. Ride height dropped 1 inch. Measured them and they come in at 13”. Stock, length shocks on my bike are 13.5”. Called them back up and they told me they don’t make a 13.5” shock for the VROD. I asked if they could offer me an equivalent (something 13.5”, similar bike weight and eyelets etc) and they came back with a 444-4003 for a Sportster. Has anyone replaced their shocks with this one or maybe have another alternative that worked for them?

Thanks, HJ

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
View attachment 611950 View attachment 611951 These are stock. Purchased the bike brand new.
Well technically 13 3/8" is what I see and I see your confusion here. However, shocks are not exacting in lengths between manufacturers and years, so consider 13" as a nominal figure. Not sure at the moment but either my 444s or my stock ones were 13 1/4" . If you go shopping , 13" is the number you are looking for unless you really need that slight difference in length. . Some companies do offer slight optional length changes. Racetech being one. Bitubo, also shows a 13.5" and possibly a few others.
Ron

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well technically 13 3/8" is what I see and I see your confusion here. However, shocks are not exacting in lengths between manufacturers and years, so consider 13" as a nominal figure. Not sure at the moment but either my 444s or my stock ones were 13 1/4" . If you go shopping , 13" is the number you are looking for unless you really need that slight difference in length. . Some companies do offer slight optional length changes. Racetech being one. Bitubo, also shows a 13.5" and possibly a few others.
Ron
Here are the stock ones (chrome) and the 13" from Progressive. Product Coil Household hardware Gas Automotive tire

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Here are the stock ones (chrome) and the 13" from Progressive. View attachment 611958
That's about right. I doubt that difference will hurt you. Springs and internals to prevent bottoming out. With the 444s and mostly 2 up, don't go with the standard spring. Go with the heavy. If you are really worried, go with that 13.5" sportster version but quiz them on bolt size and spacer requirements. Pretty sure nobody here has used them for real world feedback.
Ron

·
Registered
59 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
So my bike came with the chrome standards, the progressives on it and an air ride set. The left side shock slightly rubs the black belt cover. Is this normal? The progressives were on the bike when i got it.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
So i took a look last night, theres two spacers on the right side but one/none on the left? ill take a pic and post it when i get home.
Tried to find install pdf but the site is useless for that now as far as v rod go. I ran them for a while and clearly remember 2 spacers on each to bolt and one on each bottom. There are several different bushings , spacers to accommodate several bikes. I can guarantee with no spacers on the left the spring will be rubbing the upper belt guard. Each spacer is about 3/8" thick. Upper stacked, bottom single.
Ron

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thank you so much I'll make contact and see if they can ship me a couple spacers. Once I get the spacers, can I just unbolt the shock and partially move the upper shock to slide the spacers in then retighten?

·
Registered
6,220 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
well just by the install directions idk how the guy got it wrong as bad as he did. On the left side, the shoulder sleeve is on the inside not the outside and there is no spacer. On the right side there is two spacers when there should be one.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
well just by the install directions idk how the guy got it wrong as bad as he did. On the left side, the shoulder sleeve is on the inside not the outside and there is no spacer. On the right side there is two spacers when there should be one.
People are capable of a lot of weird things. Nothing surprises me anymore. 🤣
Ron

1 - 20 of 25 Posts