Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after seeing the prices of sidemount license plate brackets I'm just going to fab me up one. My question is do y'all know if I will need a longer shock bolt if I use say 1/8" thick metal?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Look at the end of the bolt inside the mount where the belt guard is. That is the actuall nut. Is there enough left over?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I recommend a grade 8 M12 - 1.75 x 80. That is what gets used with the plates I sell and the mount is 1/2" but countersunk to 1/4".

-Keith

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok stupid question here I have a service manual but evidently removing the tail light is too complicated for me. Is there a trick once the screwdriver is in the hole or am I just being too easy afraid to push hard?

·
Been there done that
1,527 Posts
Slap the screw driver with the palm of you hand, owwwch but it will release the clamp with enough force....curley

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks I ended up just taking the fender off and looking at the clip to get it cuz I was afraid I was gunna break something lol

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Thanks I ended up just taking the fender off and looking at the clip to get it cuz I was afraid I was gunna break something lol
And that's what most of us end up doing. It actually ends up being QUICKER than screwing with it the"factory procedure" way.

If you opt to go with the Muscle (Sportster) side mount - the bolt holes are already in the seat pan/fender support...

Rick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts