Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got these cool BST Carbon Fiber Wheels (still working out re-design details with SoAfrica to make these direct bolt-ons for 08-newer ABS bikes),

Anyway...

I ordered the Reactor Pulley & Compensator Bowl, figuring they'd match the look of the 5 spoke BST's nicely.

Problem is, the damn thing weighs even MORE than the stock pulley.

Now I'm not looking for flashy PM's, RC's and anything bling that glitters (since anything I get is going to be powdercoated BLACK anyway).

What I AM looking for is a lighter alternative. I have an extra (new) stock pulley I can have machined to make a little better looking (and a little LIGHTER), and I've been discussing this with Scott @ Fitzgeralds.

What's the sense of losing all that weight with CF wheels, and adding some more weight back on with a HEAVIER PULLEY (over and over again, sometimes I wonder WTF Milwaukee is thinking up there)? While we're talking about the "special education folks there -what's with the FAKE BOLT HOLES on the stock pulley ANYWAY? (love to get these machined off TOO).

So, I'm not looking to spend a FORTUNE here - being WAAAAY over budget on this project already. But I am seeking something that will go well with the BST's and not weight more than the damn wheel itself...

Rick

So the front forks are off now - looks like I'm heading to Atlanta tomorrow night for a 9:30AM appointment at Traxxion Dynamics to have the AK-20's put in, with the PVD blacked out fork tubes - unless I get REAL LAZY and just next-day them up and back (and with gas going up $.15 a gallon every day, it may end up being CHEAPER than driving).

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
look in to a chain drive system.

a while back i think sharkey was lookin to do something with the rear pulley, i dont know where that went.

·
MODOHOLIC ANONYMOUS
7,448 Posts
contact tyson to see if he has any of the pm pulleys left.. lighter and damn slick..

·
Registered
422 Posts
Your going to love those BST wheels when i was at the dealer expo i talked to them about those wheels and they had a set there and they were super and i mean super light they are awsome. Believe it or not but there is not much mark up on them but still very expensive. You will beable to tell a big difference in handeling.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Well, if the stock pulley is lighter, maybe that is the one you want to black out? Just sayin.... I can safely say that nothing from Performance Machine will be lighter. Pretty much the aftermarket for these things is all about style. There are only a tiny handful of people working on Harley who are worried about weight.

Some BST rear wheels have the isolators built right into the pulley or sprocket mountings. I wonder if another pulley, such as one from a Softtail (70T) or maybe a Victory pulley (not certain of their tooth count) on that style of rear wheel could fill your needs? Victory belts have the same pitch as HD belts and are usually 28 mm, about 1 1/8 inches wide. Maybe you could adapt a pulley and belt from Victory and ditch all the HD isolator stuff? Just a thought.

I'm curious because I'm thinking about BST wheels for my R. What is the cost of admission?

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sure would like to have that black reactor on my bike... looks sharp!
I'm bout ready to off it. Took my spare stocker, filled the "fake boot holes", and had it machined flat. It's at the powdercoaters now.

Should go well with Lyndall rotors.

Rick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts