Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered USDA
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my narrowed rear pulley powder coated. The back flange is now loose & the powdercoater said that it is common with pulleys when baked at 400deg +. I'm not comfortable leaving this flange loose & was thinking of using JB Weld. Has this happened to anyone & what did you do?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
GreysonWinfield said:
Just had my narrowed rear pulley powder coated. The back flange is now loose & the powdercoater said that it is common with pulleys when baked at 400deg +. I'm not comfortable leaving this flange loose & was thinking of using JB Weld. Has this happened to anyone & what did you do?
Don't use JB weld on this, is it possible to stake the ring without hurting the finish in an area that would be visible?

·
# 12/50 Ignite LE
2,913 Posts
JB weld! :spank: My chrome reactor sprocket has small button head screws holding the inner ring onto the pulley, I would check to see if that could be an option.

·
Registered USDA
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Max said:
Don't use JB weld on this, is it possible to stake the ring without hurting the finish in an area that would be visible?
What do you mean by "staking"?

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Carefully beat the snot out of it, where the two surfaces join, as to create a friction fit. FWIW, Buell pulleys have no flange on one side. By the same token, I have seen crankcases repaired with JB Weld. What held it together before the 400 degrees? Probably an adhesive of some sort. The trick with the small screws would work, but make sure it balances. V/R Joe

·
Registered USDA
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to run a light bead of clear silicone & see what happens.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
GreysonWinfield said:
What do you mean by "staking"?
To stake it you lay it on some thing that will protect the face and you take a center punch and you go around on the pulley itself and center punch about every inch or so just inside the ring on the pulley. It will swell the metal and make it push the area against the ring. It is called staking the metal.

·
Registered USDA
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Max said:
To stake it you lay it on some thing that will protect the face and you take a center punch and you go around on the pulley itself and center punch about every inch or so just inside the ring on the pulley. It will swell the metal and make it push the area against the ring. It is called staking the metal.
I'm going to try that method. You had me Googling staking and I found some stuff put mostky relating to plastics. Thanks for the lesson!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts