Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had some rattling goin on in the rear narrowed it down to pulley bearing, question is that bearing suppose to be pressed in? I put a socket on it and gave it a tap with a hammer and it came right out. Is that normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Had some rattling goin on in the rear narrowed it down to pulley bearing, question is that bearing suppose to be pressed in? I put a socket on it and gave it a tap with a hammer and it came right out. Is that normal?...
It is press fit but if you heat the rear sprocket to about 212 °F = 100 °C (maybe a little hotter) the bearing will fall out.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is press fit but if you heat the rear sprocket to about 212 °F = 100 °C (maybe a little hotter) the bearing will fall out.

Ok thanks a lot, after cleaning the old bearing and cleaning inside sprocket I can put the bearing back in with my hands so I’m on my way back from Harley to see if a new bearing is going to work otherwise I need a new pulley which kinda sucks since the bike has 6k mike on it

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Ok thanks a lot, after cleaning the old bearing and cleaning inside sprocket I can put the bearing back in with my hands so I’m on my way back from Harley to see if a new bearing is going to work otherwise I need a new pulley which kinda sucks since the bike has 6k mike on it

If the fit is somewhat firm and bore is good, retaining Loctite will do the job. If it's to the point where the bearing has some slop, you can end up with a few thou non concentric situation that even with Loctite can play hell with even belt tension. That case either have a machine shop center the bore with the sprocket OD and sleeve it for a new bearing press fit or get a new sprocket.
Ron

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the fit is somewhat firm and bore is good, retaining Loctite will do the job. If it's to the point where the bearing has some slop, you can end up with a few thou non concentric situation that even with Loctite can play hell with even belt tension. That case either have a machine shop center the bore with the sprocket OD and sleeve it for a new bearing press fit or get a new sprocket.

Ron

Thanks a lot Ron there’s no slop, I never knew about retaining locktite I’m gonna run to the parts store now! What do you think would cause that to loosen like that?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
remember,dont power wash the bike,especially the steering head and wheel bearings,this is usually the cause of failures.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Rear bearing

Had some rattling goin on in the rear narrowed it down to pulley bearing, question is that bearing suppose to be pressed in? I put a socket on it and gave it a tap with a hammer and it came right out. Is that normal?

No it is not normal. It is a press fit. I could not knock mines out w/ a hammer. Like was said heating it. And adding loctite upon reinstall.

·
VRSC est -03
3,095 Posts
Condition wheel bearings ok?

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Thanks a lot Ron there’s no slop, I never knew about retaining locktite I’m gonna run to the parts store now! What do you think would cause that to loosen like that?

Piss poor HD quality control to start with regarding the tolerance for the fit right from the manufacturer. The other possible is that the bearing has been changed several times before and not heated up prior to pressing bearing out. This will draw metal out of the bore and it will lose it's press with each r&r.
Ron

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bearing was good I had a new one installed last year cause I had the rims and the pulley powder coated

1 - 11 of 11 Posts