Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a chrome rear pulley on e-bay.

Is a press necessary for the installation of the bearing?

The manual talks about using a drift to install.

What methods have you used to install the bearing if you don't have a press?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I used an arbor press to install my bearings. I never like to hammer in roller brg type brgs.

shaggydogman, the dealer may have meant that the pulley uses a double row brg, it is a single brg but about twice what a wheel brg cost because it is different inside. The wheel brgs are the exact same outside size but only have a single row of brgs while the pulley uses two rows of smaller length brgs.

Max

·
Registered Confuser
828 Posts
I bought one used and it had the bearing already installed. As far as I could tell it just had one bearing.
If the directions say to use a drift, just get a soft metal drift and carefully tap it in. Or, you can get a socket that is large enough to cover the edge of the bearing. Tap it in. Its easier to keep straight this way.
Theres no big secret to it. Just try to keep it going in straight and only tap on the edge, not the center of the bearing. Tap it in until its flush with the pulley surface.
Oh and lay the pulley on wood or cardboard.
Also, when you put the pulley on to the wheel, its hard to get meshed up with the rubber cush drive. Just spray the rubber with windex and it will go right on.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
adamsg said:
I bought one used and it had the bearing already installed. As far as I could tell it just had one bearing.
If the directions say to use a drift, just get a soft metal drift and carefully tap it in. Or, you can get a socket that is large enough to cover the edge of the bearing. Tap it in. Its easier to keep straight this way.
Theres no big secret to it. Just try to keep it going in straight and only tap on the edge, not the center of the bearing. Tap it in until its flush with the pulley surface.
Oh and lay the pulley on wood or cardboard.
Also, when you put the pulley on to the wheel, its hard to get meshed up with the rubber cush drive. Just spray the rubber with windex and it will go right on.

Some Great Tips Adam! :thumb:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just installed the bearing yesterday. It is one bearing, Part no. 40433-01, list price $34.00. If you have a bearing supply store you can probably get it cheaper there. It is marked INA 45, F-236399, T-07 17. The one I got is made in Slovakia, so much for HD being an American bike. I used a poor boy press. I used some 1/2" bolts, washers of various size, and a 1 1/2" socket. I used the washers to get the bearing in as far as it would go with the washers and used the 1 /12" socket to set it the finally 1/16" or so. The bearing will not seat fully if you only use washers. I tried to use the socket to start with but couldn't get the bearing to start straight. That was the biggest problem I had was getting the bearing to start in straight. If it start crooked you need to stop and get it going in straight before you proceed. Once I got it started it went in farily quick. I used some Lubriplate to lube the bore. You need to get a washer that is at least 2 1/2" O.D. to go next to the bearing. The one I used has an I.D. of a little over 1".

A press is the way to go if you have access to it but I don't and didn't want to wait until I could take it to a machine shop. And I saved my self some $.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts