Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yep. I still have the stock pipes. I had to remove and flatten the pipe in a couple areas so even when mount is bad it wont hit frame. Front mount not to bad.
Securing the top bolt thru the mount takes a little effort. No need to bother the exhaust. Support the engine.The bottom bracket to the front cylinder goes first.
Unfortunately the Akro needs to come off due to the bend being in the way.
Ron

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yea, the rear mounts especially get the kicker fired up Ron - if you think about the thickness of the metal in the rubber mount at the junction to the engine and swing arm pivot bolt I can see any looseness or play will allow that thin metal to get oblonged like RustyG has seen. it really depends on the clamping force of the entire swing arm bolt more than the thickness of the metal in that rubber mount to avoid fretting wear from vibration. Theoretically as the swing arm bolt nut is drawn down all the free space between all the parts is removed courtesy of the rubber mount and equal clamping force is applied, the engine kinda centers itself, be it right or wrong. The front mounts on it's own. I can see why H-D engineered it that way - it's for that purpose as compared to a set of hard ears welded into the frame where everything must be installed with shim washers to get the correct gap free clamping force. That & ease of factory assembly.
That front mount does have quite a work load to do. Amazing it lasts as long as it does.
Ron

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Yes that Akro R&R is a cup of coffee or a one beer job depending on what time of day you decide to do it - cant wait to see what the mount looks like - how many miles on your bike Ron ?

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yes that Akro R&R is a cup of coffee or a one beer job depending on what time of day you decide to do it - cant wait to see what the mount looks like - how many miles on your bike Ron ?
Only 43000 kms. A good Akro mount is going to be more extensive then first thought. That's down the road. For now, I'll order all the mounts and likely do the front one and see if that's it for those weird every now and then harsher vibes at the 4k plus rpms. If not, then the rears and the revamped rear Akro mount via swing arm shaft. Currently , I have a serious lack of ambition . Happens with age.
Ron

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Yes, good logic path - You know what they say Ron thinking about it is worse that doing it !. Once you get started you'll be happy you're working on it & being constructive plus when you get to the crappy PIA part you can legally swear for hours and it's allowed. :LOL:

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yes, good logic path - You know what they say Ron thinking about it is worse that doing it !. Once you get started you'll be happy you're working on it & being constructive plus when you get to the crappy PIA part you can legally swear for hours and it's allowed. :LOL:
True. Then again at my age, bending over takes planning. 😁

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Knut J - My Future Note to Self - When helping an athlete stretch, remember to avoid my well practiced, standardized " Sitting on the toilet dropping some politicians :poop: off for a swim with a concerned face & the squeezing stance. It's just a bit weird and out of place. Don't want to be " that guy " (y) :D Happy Fathers Day Guys ! Get off the Athlete & get to work on the BIKE Ron ! THE BIKE !! ;)

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Knut J - My Future Note to Self - When helping an athlete stretch, remember to avoid my well practiced, standardized " Sitting on the toilet dropping some politicians :poop: off for a swim with a concerned face & the squeezing stance. It's just a bit weird and out of place. Don't want to be " that guy " (y) :D Happy Fathers Day Guys ! Get off the Athlete & get to work on the BIKE Ron ! THE BIKE !! ;)
I will order the parts Monday. Got the list in front of me. Debating putting my rubber mount back on Akro again, since I'm feeling the same vibes with the hard mount also. Source is likely the engine mount(s). That rigid hard mount just bugs the hell out of me from a design point, if you know what I mean? I'm suspecting the stock heavy exhaust had some vibe taming effect in an already existing mount issue. The light Akro just amplifies the problem , as I see it now.
Ron

·
Registered
697 Posts
Yep like I said awhile back. Most aftermarket stuff is a pia. They tell u how good it is. But the bottom line most oem is the best. Aftermarket may not know or care why oem made a particular part a certain way. If u just race then u might not care I guess.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Yep like I said awhile back. Most aftermarket stuff is a pia. They tell u how good it is. But the bottom line most oem is the best. Aftermarket may not know or care why oem made a particular part a certain way. If u just race then u might not care I guess.
Worse then that. People buy and then tell you how good it is. No clue. After I dump the coin and start questioning this dicey rear mount people all of a sudden crawl out of the woodwork noticing the same thing I did. Me, I don't hold back. That kind of money for pipes, I feel I'm entitled to an opinion. If they don't like it, fk em. They should have done it right. That, I will take care of as overall I like the pipe. I do agree, most aftermarket exhaust out there are crap compared to the stock . It's just so damn heavy for what it does.

Ron

·
Registered
697 Posts
Worse then that. People buy and then tell you how good it is. No clue. After I dump the coin and start questioning this dicey rear mount people all of a sudden crawl out of the woodwork noticing the same thing I did. Me, I don't hold back. That kind of money for pipes, I feel I'm entitled to an opinion. If they don't like it, fk em. They should have done it right. That, I will take care of as overall I like the pipe. I do agree, most aftermarket exhaust out there are crap compared to the stock . It's just so damn heavy for what it does.

Ron
(y) Yep, I kinda figure the weight is the use of heavier gage metal for reasons u mentioned as well as longevity. I think I remember reading where someone's aftermarket pipe broke at the cylinder head.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
(y) Yep, I kinda figure the weight is the use of heavier gage metal for reasons u mentioned as well as longevity. I think I remember reading where someone's aftermarket pipe broke at the cylinder head.
The 321 SS is pretty durable, fatigue wise used in aircraft piston engines. Don't know about turbine as
I could never afford to buy one or feed it with fuel if I managed to.
Ron

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Harley's Dictum has always been " make it outta boiler plate - its cheaper, we make more profit per M/C and the bike will be more stable in average use and that kinda covers up for our bad chassis engineering - except for those that really, really want to be carving corners - for them there's always the Sporty 1200 - So Yes, that's exactly why H-D is not KTM ! H-D coulda, shoulda been KTM even sooner than KTM but the short sighted yes men management and the " give the investors the #'s they're looking for " public investor mentality has cornered their future BIG TIME. Too bad - where's the H-D skate board, mower, chain saw, mini -bike, go cart, weed wacker etc. ? Yea we got the Tee shirts, gloves, saddlebags & boots made in Fk'n China and a 30K battery only M/C for city use but where's the lightweight perimeter framed 1300cc Six Speed V Twin 165 Hp & Mph H-D Canyon Carver ? Could have been easily been made out of a V Rod R Model and no, I don't believe the whole emissions B/S - that could have easily been overcome if they chose to do so. Look at KTM - that very bike, Euro legal, I rest my case. Sometimes you make your bed, and you gotta actually lay in it. Maybe till the end. That's where H-D is right now. And yea, my stock R pipe spit off heat shield nuts like a big dog coughing up a hairball, and it weighed a absolute ton, but the head pipe never cracked ! - so there's that. :rolleyes: :geek:

21 - 35 of 35 Posts