Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
VRSCD
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally ordered the rear motor mount and I was wondering if anyone who has already replaced this has any recommendations on pulling the bolt and replacing. Do I need the alignment sleeve that is recommended in the manual?

Thanks.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
I'm a bit unclear as to what you are changing, but I have had my swing arm off the bike two or three times. The rear motor mount is also the pivot for the swing arm. If you are careful, and don't move the bike around with the pivot shaft removed, you don't need a sleeve. In any case, a piece of doweling the correct size is a bunch cheaper than any HD special tool. All you're trying to do is keep the engine from dropping and causing you a headache at assembly time.

·
VRSCD
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you,

I am replacing the motor mount with the DX mount without the integrated peg for the mid controls. Do you happen to know off hand what size dowel you used?

·
VRSCD
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you,

I went to my local Hardware store and they had 1" and 3/4" in oak, so I bought both. I am running out of time on leave and may just save this for another day.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
Hit that 1" dowel with some sandpaper just enough to smooth it up and it will fit just fine. Then you can make the taper on the end and you're in business. I just cut it by hand with a Dremel. It doesn't need to be that precise.

·
VRSCD
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WILCO, Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts