Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Kris
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, its starting to get cold out and its time to get back to postn again.... I put a bunch of miles on my 07 DX this summer and love it more and more and its hurting me to have to put it away. Love the Racetuner and the Rinehart (thanks Gunny) but I have one complaint and think that all of you need to keep your eyes open for this. Upon cleaning my bike very thoroughly the other week, after getting back from a harsh week at the beech in the salty air, sand and rain, I noticed a spot that I assumed I missed when rinsing the bike off. I looked just like a smudge of wax on the rear fender, so I rubbed over it with my finger and it didn't go away!!!! I was pissed!!! After drying the spot, I ran my dry, clean fingers over the spot and realized that is not a scratch or a scuff, but solvent bleeding through the paint under the clear.
A good frined of mine that is a custom painter and a service writer at my local dealer ship came and looked at it and said that they have to try and wet sand it to say they gave it a try and buff it out first, but more than likely this winter we will just have to get a new fender under warranty and replace it. This was about two months ago and since then, the original spot has gotten bigger and a few new spots have appeared as well all on the rear fender. So just keep your eyes open everyone for any kind of blemishes that appear on your 07.

Kris

·
Fade to Black
2,526 Posts
I have a spot like that on my rear fender. I have not tried to polish it out yet but if its the same thing you have then maybe I will wait to see if it gets worse.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
interesting, I've done done custom paint for years and never had "solvent bleed thru" the paint. When solvents dry - thats it, it dries. However, Harley powder coats everything, and they do it quite well. No solvents are used in the powder coat process nor is there clear paint involved.
Maybe a foreign substance of sorts before the paint or since you've had it? A spill?

·
Kris
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, nothing at all, just water that is all. Dealer said its not the first time thye have seen it either

·
Comfortably numb!
1,968 Posts
So far no issues on mine. I do have some small bubbling with the orange stripe on the left engine cover, but not noticeable unless up close.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts