Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what people have done to get rid of that awful plastic license plate holder. a few years ago when i was thinking about relocating the plate and doing under fender led turn signals it seemed like there was a plethora of sites with aftermarket vrod parts. now i cant find much of anything in one location. any pictures would help. thanks

·
My Last Ride
1,351 Posts
With the dog's ass still mounted I fit a piece of 16 gauge metal to the back side of the DA and the inner fender. Once fit then I drilled the LP holes and the mounting holes in the inner fender. I retained enough of the DA to stabilize the flimsy fender and provide LP light. Shaping the metal wasn't necessary.

·
Registered
23 Posts
With the dog's ass still mounted I fit a piece of 16 gauge metal to the back side of the DA and the inner fender. Once fit then I drilled the LP holes and the mounting holes in the inner fender. I retained enough of the DA to stabilize the flimsy fender and provide LP light. Shaping the metal wasn't necessary.

Nice job!

·
My Last Ride
1,351 Posts
That looks really good! I bet it was a lot less expensive as well
If you should decide to go that route then there are 4 plastic gussets that need to be flushed off so that the plate can lay flat against the back side of the dogs ass. When you fit the plate then you need to have the DA fully installed on the inner fender. In order for the metal plate to be flat against the DA and flat against the inner fender you will have to trim the back edge of the inner fender. If you copy the picture and paste it in a viewer that has zoom then you can see where I trimmed but it must be ZOOMED and you have to LQQK due to the similar colors. When you get to that point then it will be clear. I used a cardboard templet to lift the angle and then broke the metal to match the templet.

Once the metal is fit then C clamp it to the DA and drill the mounting holesfor attaching it to the inner fender. Install the bolts release the C clamps and then re clamp and drill through the lower LP holes in the DA and through the metal and then install bolts with large (fender) washers. Rough cut the excess DA and it's best to find a large disc grinder to finish the trim. When finished you will still have the chanel for supporting the decorative fender and you will have the LP light.

There are two studs that go into the inner fender and they must be retained. They also establish the finished width of the trimmed DA. A table saw would be another way to cut the DA using the T square against the straight edge of the bottom of the LP area. A lot of words for a very simple job. The frilly dilly trim was just one of my many Hang Ups.

Ron

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Hey thanks for the shares guys! For the pre-2012 fenders, the under fender options are way more than the 2012+ ones. They sell way less of them and honestly, volume has a lot to do with prices. I sell probably 10-15 times more of the 2012+ fender eliminators.

Another option I do is the light relocators that come off the shock. This is actually a pretty clean look for the A models. You can then get a nice set of bullet signals off somewhere like ebay for cheap (make sure you check if they are made of metal or plastic) and you have a nice setup that is super bright. I have a set of relocators like the old rizoma ones that aren't on the site as well.

One thing to consider as well is that the full fender eliminators are plug and play, where everything else you are splicing wires.

-Keith

1 - 10 of 10 Posts