Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 aw and after I've ridden the bike for 20 minutes or so there is a hollow type dragging noise comming from what I think is the rear brakes, does anyone else have this problem?

·
Third of 4
289 Posts
I've heard something similar, seems to be there when not using the engine to accelerate or slow down and only at slower speeds. They didn't find anything on the 5000 mile check.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
yzf1999 said:
I have an 07 aw and after I've ridden the bike for 20 minutes or so there is a hollow type dragging noise comming from what I think is the rear brakes, does anyone else have this problem?
It honestly sounds like the rear brake, they are bad about making noise.

·
2007AW, 2010 Ultra
121 Posts
Honestly, the way to eliminate the idea of the brake dragging is to decelrate from about 50mph, and don't touch the rear brake. Mine starts doing the HOWL after riding on a hot day in heavey traffic. Or, just hitting too many stop signs. If it is still there and you don't touch the back brake, you have the same problem as I do, and alot of other people have experienced this as well, and I've heard of no actual cure. The dealership dismissed it as normal, even though it was so loud at one point it was embarrasing to ride in traffic.

·
Banned
1,016 Posts
After my ride today I have 360 miles on my bike and I have the noise as well.

just one more reason to put louder pipes on. :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
the spacer that fits between the rear sprocket bearing and rear wheel bearing is held into place by the rubber rear wheel compensator potentially creating this noise. Usually early on you will hear this squeal or whirring noise which might be this issue???? this usually goes away after some runtime and does not create any issues otherwise.

·
NCSkater
17 Posts
Rear End Noise.....

My 07 had some rear end noises that weren't right....As it turns out a bearing in the sprocket was not seated correctly and there was some wobble as the sprocket was engaged, either accelerating or decelerating when down shifting. I am not mechanically inclined but that was the dealers story and it has currently stopped.

·
Registered
6 Posts
squeeking brakes on the rear, ride them a bit and it goes away for a while. going to see if dealer will do anything about it.

·
----->
7,589 Posts
Mine is from the chili dog I had earlier.

Could it also be from the belt?

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
at slow speeds my belt makes a little whining.. no big deal to me

·
Captain DeadPool
660 Posts
04 VRSCB I had the same issue, and I still get it once and a while. I would say it is rare, but I haven't been on it for almost a year, I say almost cause when I was on my R&R pass I put 200 miles on it in 2 weeks, and that while my Ol'Lady laid up in the hospital having my first kid.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Mine and my buddies both did it when new. Now after the trip to Sturgis and a total of 7500 miles, neither of them make the noise.

·
2007AW, 2010 Ultra
121 Posts
Frankjake said:
Mine and my buddies both did it when new. Now after the trip to Sturgis and a total of 7500 miles, neither of them make the noise.
I thought about this old thread the other day. That's when I noticed since about the 3000 mile mark mine hasn't made the noise again either, and I damn sure didn't miss it. Guess it needed to wear in. Up to 7000 now.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Vr Master said:
the spacer that fits between the rear sprocket bearing and rear wheel bearing is held into place by the rubber rear wheel compensator potentially creating this noise. Usually early on you will hear this squeal or whirring noise which might be this issue???? this usually goes away after some runtime and does not create any issues otherwise.
I know from experience that this is problem. It happen to me when I went to a 260 rear tire. Also that there is a tech bulletin out to lesson the belt tension. Mine was whinning so loud you could hear me coming.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Since fitting my Tab slip-ons I have noticed a kind of hollow (tiny rattling) noise under acceleration, but nothing seems to be touching or hitting the other. Is this normal?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts