Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Max, What are your thoughts here? I was riding home last night when the engine all of a sudden lost power. It would run, but it sounded like my old Briggs and Straton 5hp lawnmower. I pulled over to the side of the road and pulled off my pcrIIIr to see if that may have been the cause. It was not. I limped the bike home and checked the codes. P1356 came up. That tells me the rear cylinder is not firing. The bike has about 5700 miles on it and the plugs haven't been out of it. Any ideas on what it may be?? The problem seems to be intermittent. I can start the bike up and it will sound fine for about 10 seconds and then it will lose a cylinder. Sounds like an electrical problem to me but I'm no expert. Thanks in advance for any help.:confused:

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Check the rear coil connection.It could have came loose or you might have a damaged wire!Check the plug while your there also.:cool:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
anguss is this by any chance an 03 that has not had the recall done yet. If I'm not mistaken the lean fuel condition could also set that code. Just a guess, it could also be the coil or plug for that cylinder.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your support gents. No resolution yet. I should be able to get it to the dealer on Wednesday, 12Nov03. I will keep you updated. Max, It's an 02. BTW, why are 02's not affected by this recall? Do I have a different flange design than the 03's?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
anguss I think that the 02 fuel tank unit was made to a different spec and did not have the problem that the 03 did. So far I have not heard of any of the 02's with leaking fuel flanges. I am aware that Kaz had a bad coil on his 02 and I think it was on the rear.

Max

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Yep!:thumb

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Max, Kaz, and all others that may be interested,
I just got the bike home from the dealer. As you both suspected it was a bad rear coil. The bike ran really strong on the way home. It felt great to have power back. Unfortunatley, just in time to put it away for the winter. The dealer took good care of me. They covered the repair under warranty even though the bike is out of warranty. The whole thing cost $5.40 for a new spark plug. It pays to have a good relationship with your local dealer. Thanks again for your help in diagnosing my problem. It's good advice and caring people that make this the best V-Rod site on the net!

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Glad it worked out!:cool:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
What Kaz said.

·
Registered
8 Posts
After 80 miles, I had the same problem (rear cylinder not firing). Took back to dealer. He showed me the diagnostic output. There was also an error for "low voltage" something.

They replaced the coil and everything has been fine since. I now have 350 miles.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I wonder, are there any more people that have coils replaced and were they the front or rear coil?

Max

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
I bet it was the Rear!:cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kaz, just curious, why do you think it would be the rear? Any type of condition that would make the back coil go bad prematurely?

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Not sure why but thats what went wrong with mine twice!I know the rear cyclinder gets a little hotter and maybe the coil just fry's?:confused: It runs leaner also!:cool:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I think Kaz touched on what might be the problem, even though the engine is water cooled the rear coil sits high on the head and gets no airflow because it is located behind the air box.

Max

1 - 16 of 16 Posts