Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not post here very often so bare with me.

This is winter time here (in Canada) and I'm now doing some mods to my 2016 muscle.

Install full body kit and doing all I can do to have my motorcycle in good condition.
In Mai 2023, me and my brother will be on route 66 for maybe 2 months so I want my bike to
be ready.
I want to do full job to calipers including pads and pistons and powder coat.
I've ordered 3 rebuild kit from JP cycle Cycle Pro Caliper Piston and seal rebuild kit - 19257

I read this thread: How do you remove rest caliper pistons?
The rear caliper pistons are not the same as the front, they are not solid but are hollow but,with some caps with a tiny hole in the center, any problem replacing these with the same ones as the front caliper.

I posted a picture of front vs rear piston
Automotive tire Wood Gas Tints and shades Household hardware

For info, wheels will be this color: Candy Orange Powder Coating Paint 1 LB
Body kit will same but with regular automotive paint. Motor will stay gray, no color change.
I'm not sure yet for caliper color, black or same as wheel color, not sure too about belt guard color too.
Hope this thread is not too long.

Jeff

· VRSC est -03
3,677 Posts
Have we ever seen a thread here too long? Only those times we`re searching for info..
Why not use automotive paint for your calipers? If the coaters does a crappy job when masking the calipers or the powder coat does not get the desired finish your`re in trouble... Automotive paint copes with the heat well (to a certain extent).
Good luck with your build and Route 66. Keep us updated. (y)

Reactions: Destroy

· Registered
6,471 Posts
I do not post here very often so bare with me.

This is winter time here (in Canada) and I'm now doing some mods to my 2016 muscle.

Install full body kit and doing all I can do to have my motorcycle in good condition.
In Mai 2023, me and my brother will be on route 66 for maybe 2 months so I want my bike to
be ready.
I want to do full job to calipers including pads and pistons and powder coat.
I've ordered 3 rebuild kit from JP cycle Cycle Pro Caliper Piston and seal rebuild kit - 19257

I read this thread: How do you remove rest caliper pistons?
The rear caliper pistons are not the same as the front, they are not solid but are hollow but,with some caps with a tiny hole in the center, any problem replacing these with the same ones as the front caliper.

I posted a picture of front vs rear piston
View attachment 612885

For info, wheels will be this color: Candy Orange Powder Coating Paint 1 LB
Body kit will same but with regular automotive paint. Motor will stay gray, no color change.
I'm not sure yet for caliper color, black or same as wheel color, not sure too about belt guard color too.
Hope this thread is not too long.

Jeff
Those caps might be a cheap way to make the caliper somewhat directional to lead into the pad when braking or a form of anti vibration means to the pad / piston interface. Very little info on them anywhere. Usually a directional Brembo will have smaller piston on the lead side to the pads. If these dia's are the same, not sure I'd get too bent out of shape just using all the same in this case. Those inserts should stand slightly proud of the steel also and could be a means to reduce heat transfer from pad to piston. Of all the possibles, I'd go with that reason. Please post if you fine there real answer to those plugs. Several methods to remove and I'm sure you tired Google out by now. Here's another. I thought the collet one near the end was cool.
Ron

· Registered
6,471 Posts
I think I will try the same pistons on the rear caliper and see if this cause any problem.
Like I said in my first post, I will ride Route 66 next spring and will ask my dealership to do a full inspection on my bike before leaving.
Should be just fine. Use high temp anti-seize at the piston to pad contact as a squeal eliminator.
Ron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts