Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The parts manual does not show any o-ring associated with the rear caliper bleeder, but after changing the rear bleeder nipple (I rounded the crap out of the original, more on that later) I noticed the new one sat much deeper in the caliper than the original did. I day later I found a tiny o-ring on the driveway where I swapped the bleeders. Is there an o-ring under there that is not depicted in the parts manual? If so, how is it installed?

And, what is with Harley Davidson putting blue Locktite on a bleeder nipple? Plus, what is with using only a 3/8 inch hex, and darn narrow one at that, rather than the usual, larger, 11 mm hex used on other Brembo bleeders? Between the Locktite and the small diameter of the fitting it doesn't seem possible to bleed the rear brakes without rounding the edges of the fitting, even using a box end wrench. I am ordering a box end wrench with 6 points vs the usual 12 to see if this preserves that fitting.

I've had bleeder nipples on other bikes with Brembo brakes for decades without damaging them, this is frustrating. I know Harley is paranoid about their heritage of parts falling off on the road, but Locktite on a brake bleeder is wretched excess.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am still wondering if there is supposed to be an o-ring either on the bleeder screw or in the hole somewhere? Does anyone have an answer to this question?

I just ordered some 8 X 1.25 mm bleeder fittings in stainless steel from HEL Products. We shall see how those work.

A little research reveals that locktited bleeders is now common on new bikes from many manufacturers. If you don't have a suction bleeder you can sure bugger them in a hurry.

·
Premium Member
11,272 Posts
Looks like a Harley part according to the packaging. New Castle has them $4.21

Reactions: Chencho

·
Asatruar
2,949 Posts
Looks like a Harley part according to the packaging. New Castle has them $4.21
Ronnie's H-D shows it for $3.99 USD.

Probably easiest to just get one from your dealer as shipping would be as much or more than the part itself.

Reactions: Chencho

·
Asatruar
2,949 Posts
And water is wet........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts