Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed my rear breather hose has some rips in it. For right now is it safe to start the bike and let it run while it has the rips or does it need replaced immediately?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Come to find out it’s actually the front breather hose not the rear. I read the diagram wrong on which one it was. Is that one okay to ride with temporarily while it’s ripped? Short ride
No problem running it. If you run it at higher rpms it will make a mess.
Ron

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Ride it all you want just bring a rag or two to wipe it up when you stop or it'll get all over and you'll smell it burning off - I ordered front and rear breather hoses for a set of H-D S/E heads they had the front one but the rear has been backordered for 3 months now they keep kicking the date out but you should order both asap - they may have your front, but your back is going to fail as well, only like $ 12 each -

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Come to find out it’s actually the front breather hose not the rear. I read the diagram wrong on which one it was. Is that one okay to ride with temporarily while it’s ripped? Short ride
Front one will make a mess fast. It breathes more from that one. Rear has a restrictor fitting in it, at least the late model ones do.
Ron

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Ron does anyone make an aftermarket breather hoses ? Any alternatives using crush and kink proof hose or something ?

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Ron does anyone make an aftermarket breather hoses ? Any alternatives using crush and kink proof hose or something ?
I've read a lot of these hoses failing. Since 2013, I've only recently replaced the front one due to it losing a bit of gription on the bullet. Very slight seep. Rear is still fine. Even that front could have been salvaged with rtv on install or a spring clamp. I coat them with dielectric and never had one rot or crack. Air is what attacks the outside of them. You know, that ozone shit. As for alternate hoses, probably but so far I've not found the need based on my luck with them. For me the dielectric coating and the cheapness of the hoses price wise, I just stay with them as is.
Ron

·
Registered
364 Posts
The motohooligans air box comes with a coiled spring to insert into regular heater hose for the rear breather. Works pretty well to keep the hose from kinking and only recently replaced it with the install of the big boy motor

1 - 8 of 8 Posts