Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 07 Night Rod and while I was at work the brake pedal went from fine to barely existent. I could easily push it to the floor and it barely worked. There are no leaks, no puddles, everything is dry.

So far I have bled the lines and rebuilt (right phrase?) the master cylinder with a rebuild kit (42883-06A). Everything was fine for an afternoon but the pedal is getting soft again.

While searching I read that the brake light switch (which IS out and needs to be replaced) could cause this but it was a passing comment and that was the only time I heard that the switch could be the problem.

Before I replace the switch or at this point, all of the lines, how can I troubleshoot what the problem is?

·
VRSC est -03
2,260 Posts
Do the switch since its already out. I would inspect the master cylinder again, did you check out the bore closely?
You`re running dot4 brakefluid?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's dot4 fluid.

I gave the bore a quick look when the cylinder was disassembled and didn't see anything. Wasn't looking too close though. I figured because of how quickly it went out that one of the gaskets failing would be the most likely culprit. I'm thinking if it was a small crack or what-have-you inside the cylinder it wouldn't have been so sudden the first time.

Also I don't want to open it again, lol. Small bits and compressed springs are my nightmare.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Doesn't make sense that the brakes just got soft. Did you do any work to the bike prior to this issue? Either fluid is leaking, or air is in the system, or both. Agree since the switch is out try that. Was fluid level in reservior checked when you lost pressure? Check inside rear caliper for leak getting passed pistons. Look at bad bleeder valve. Does it have ABS? May have to unit the unit purged if air is in there. Bench bleed the master before installing. if master is apart check ports for debris (run soft wire through them) and check cylinder for scoring.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts