Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Lip Smack'n Good
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed that when I spin my rear tire up on the lift, it sounds like the rear brake pad rubs and stops the wheel. The wheel is free spinning for about 3/4 of the turn then makes the noise and stops the wheel.

I did remove the tire for the Rick's tank change out. I didn't notice the rub before this, but I also wasn't paying attention to it either. As far as I can tell the wheel is centered.

Any thoughts, ideas?? Anything I can check? I have riden about 1000 miles since taking the tire off, so I am not too concerned I'm going to wreck or anything.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sounds like a slightly warped rear rotor - can you feel any pulsating from the rear brake pedal under brakes? If not, I'd shoot for a brake piston binding in the caliper that's holding the pad just close enough to pick up runout which is slight enough not to be felt under your foot.

·
Darth Veeness
2,014 Posts
whiskerbiscuits said:
I just noticed that when I spin my rear tire up on the lift, it sounds like the rear brake pad rubs and stops the wheel. The wheel is free spinning for about 3/4 of the turn then makes the noise and stops the wheel.

I did remove the tire for the Rick's tank change out. I didn't notice the rub before this, but I also wasn't paying attention to it either. As far as I can tell the wheel is centered.

Any thoughts, ideas?? Anything I can check? I have riden about 1000 miles since taking the tire off, so I am not too concerned I'm going to wreck or anything.
The 06 SEEs were and still notorious for that problem. I had one and my brake would drag at one point while the wheel rotated. I took it to the dealer and they said it was normal. One important thing to do is to make sure that your rear wheel is centered because if it isn't you will probably get a real bad speed wobble at between 90 and 100 mph. One cure for it is to get Lindel Z pads if your bike has Brembos. If not check that the wheel is true and then check to make sure that your brake pads didn't slip. Good luck finding the problem.

·
Lip Smack'n Good
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Podmore said:
Sounds like a slightly warped rear rotor - can you feel any pulsating from the rear brake pedal under brakes? If not, I'd shoot for a brake piston binding in the caliper that's holding the pad just close enough to pick up runout which is slight enough not to be felt under your foot.
I did not feel any pulsating from the rear brake. I stop with rear brake only from about 20 mph to 0. Nothing felt in pedal. Also stopped from 5 mph to 0 very slowly and didn't feel anything.

Also, I received this message below. I am now wondering if it is possible that I over tightend the rear end. I cannot move my caliper up or down. It is now resting on the swing arm.

Private Message said:
The whole caliper slides on wedge piece of aluminum, (part of the swing arm). There is a small round rubber piece on the caliper where it slides. When I put my caliper back on, that rubber piece had folded over causing the caliper to bind on the rotor. Just make sure your caliper is sliding freely. I don't know what the rubber button is for, but it did cause a problem when I slid the caliper back on when I put the back tire on. On page 60 of parts manual, iten 10 (bumper). Just make sure this part is in the correct place, and caliper slids free. Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts