Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all,

I have recently changed the rear tire in my 2006 VRSCA (by myself).
Overall not too much of a problem, but afterward I noticed that the rear brake pedal does not compress very much anymore and after some testdriving it seems, that the rear pads are in contact with the rotor, even when not braking (rotor and brake get hot, without braking).
I did pay attention NOT to touch the brake pedal, when the caliper was not mounted (not to compress the pistons). I did all the work as the manual and video's (thanks rscrod) showed.

How can I fix this (myself)?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
check the antirattle plates above the pads to ensure correct allignment .try flushing the fluid in the system as a blocked return port in the master cyl can cause brake lock.has the bike got abs?

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
what is the condition of the brake pads and rotor now? - how many miles on your pads?

did you pry the pads open slightly before taking off the wheel? this way you have no pressure on the pucks and the pads are open more than the thickness of the rotor... is the material on the brake pads wearing even?

jack up the rear tire and see if it will spin freely....

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The brake pads are fairly new. I had them exchanged at the 10000m check. probably about 1000m on them. The rotors are probably still the 1st set.
I did not pry the pads away before sliding the wheel out (didn't say so in the manual).
I did change one thing though, now that I remember. The bike used to have a side license plate holder, which broke off. While the wheel was out, I removed the leftover metal piece from the axle. Could that have ruined the alignment?
I will try flushing the fluid this weekend and see if that works.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
check the antirattle plates above the pads to ensure correct allignment .try flushing the fluid in the system as a blocked return port in the master cyl can cause brake lock.has the bike got abs?
This is for a 2006 bike without ABS with Brembo's. I am unaware of the antirattle plates. Are they inside the brake? i don't think you can open the brembo calipers.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
the pads push up against the plates which are situated in the top section of the caliper.its been my experience, that the pads can move off their location when the calipers are removed then refitted.the pads can be missaligned when this happens.pull the locating pins ,remove pads and check.refit if ok making sure the pads are sitting squarely on the antirattle pads and not off to the side.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
flushed the brake fluid today. with the drain valve open, the brake pedal works full range. new fluid, closed valves and closed master cylinder ... same thing. brake pedal can barely be pressed down. I will check the pads as soon as I get a hex key the right size (one that bents 90 degr). the one I have wont fit due to the shock being in the way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I just had the tires replaced on my 08 DX with ABS and seem to have the same issue. Rear Lever is very firm now and rotor is extremely hot after a short ride.

Any other ideas?

I'm not interested in going back to the shop that did the work, they gouged up my wheel, and messed up putting the abs sensor back in the first time. After the experience I don't want anything more to do with them. It's a 25 mile ride to the hd dealer and I'm worried the rears could overheat riding there.

Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I previously looked at the rotor and thought it looked in line with everything. Would it be really obvious if the spacers were reversed?

The rotor burned/blistered my finger from a light tap, I don't think that's normal drag friction? My front rotors are barely warm during the same trip.

I jacked up the bike and the rear wheel had almost no drag and spun freely. The front wheel on the other hand was surprisingly difficult to turn.

Any ideas why the rear brake pedal would be so stiff after having the tires replaced?

·
EXCELSIOR
8,612 Posts
Spacer misplacement and the assembly wouldn't go back together.

Sounds like there is a problem but I'm surprised that it spins freely up on a lift yet gets hot while riding.

Pedal being stiff could be something fouled inside the master cylinder, affecting the return piston position.

·
VRSC est -03
3,488 Posts
I used Brake Cleaner on the rear pistons, also cleaned the master cylinder inside.
Still able to re-use stock "hardware". Worked out!

·
Jarhead
598 Posts
In addition to already stated possibilities: For the rear it could be too tight on the belt tension, pulley or wheel bearings or over torqued axle nuts. The front wheel could be over-torqued axel nuts or bad bearings.

·
Registered
14 Posts
First, Thanks for all of the input.

I removed the rear caliper today and found something odd. The front inner edge of the caliper that lines the pad up worn agains the lower part of the rotor and ground it down, as well as chewed that part of the rotor a little bit. See the attached picture to better understand what I'm talking about.

Nothing looks noticeably out of place to have caused this, but I've never touched brakes before either. If the rear wheel was out of alignment could that have potentially done it?

Also, still very firm pressure/little movement at the rear brake pedal.

Think I may have to just take it to the dealership to sort out... Pending any suggestions from the group of course.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.