Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys just bought my first Harley 2006 street rod,question can i change the rear pads with out taking rear wheel off.Calipers dont separate like I have seen on other models .Any help would be much appreciated cheers.

·
She f...in Hates me!
800 Posts
The caliper is not removable without removing the rear wheel on the 2006 models. That being said yes you can change the rear pads without removing the caliper or wheel. First remove the screen by prying up one end. Once removed pull up on the wire clip. It will pull out with minimal force. Remove the single 5mm allen head cap screw. The pads will now be free and you can pry them down with a narrow flat blade screw driver. or push down from the top near where you removed the wire clip. The pads will come out a little easier if you roll the bike backwards or if you pry/ push back the caliper pistons at the very beginning. The hardest part is pushing back the pistons to allow for the new thicker pads. Don't forget to push both the inside and outside pistons. To install new pads push the tabbed end in first and cam the pad up into position on the tab. The pad spring (flat stainless looking piece) should hold the pad in position until both pads are installed and the bolt reinserted. The wire clip goes in last. It prevents the screw from backing out if it's loose. Then re install the screen. The fronts work the same way but it is much easier just to remove the caliper. I attached a picture for reference. note the pads are shown in the wrong direction. The hole in the pad should be at the opposite end in reference to the caliper. Good luck.
P.S. to the guy who said remove the rear caliper, the whole assembly was changed after 2008 I believe to the two piece setup that you must have on your bike.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts