Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having problems with the rear brake pads squeaks. We have roughed up the pads clean the disk rotors but nothing works. My dealer going to warranty them out. I'm afraid it will do it all over again. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix my problem?

Thanks,

Ray:soapbox:

·
Methosan
156 Posts
My rear brakes squealed to the point I stopped using the rear brake completely.. also due to my height I flipped the F's stock reduced-reach pegs and the rear brake pedal is now higher and I can't depress it unless I raise my foot.

I complained to the dealer several times but they could not replicate the squeal - because BEFORE they would road test they "cleaned" the brakes with some oily rag.. of course the squeal stopped until I burnt off the coating (also the brakes didn't work very well until that coating burnt off). There's some engineering short fall in the pads and/or rotors. Learn to live with it, I suppose...

·
Banned
1,923 Posts
There is a product called brake quite. It kind of glues the brake pad to the piston and gives the pad some vibration absorption. So when the piston retracts so does the pad. Some times brakes squeak because the pistons retract but the pad is left touching the rotor. You can get this stuff at an auto parts store. Its kind of like a RTV. The stuff I had was bright orange.

Bicep

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
replace the stock pads with lyndalls and you'll never hear another sound from them and brake dust will be nonexistent

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Lyndalls are the answer.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
you need to make sure the back of the pads and all the hardware, mnounting points have a thin film of brake pad grease. You can get it at oreillys, its usually blue. The squeal is usually a "tingy" sound coming thru the pads hardware area kinda like a tuning fork. Smae thing happens on cars but its more pronounced. Swapping out the pads usually fixes it but if the mounting points are gummed up it wont go away. dont know if i explained that to be understandable or not??
Clean the rotor, pads, calipers, mounting bolts and all with brake clean. then reassemble with a lite dose of brake caliper grease

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
you need to make sure the back of the pads and all the hardware, mnounting points have a thin film of brake pad grease. You can get it at oreillys, its usually blue. The squeal is usually a "tingy" sound coming thru the pads hardware area kinda like a tuning fork. Smae thing happens on cars but its more pronounced. Swapping out the pads usually fixes it but if the mounting points are gummed up it wont go away. dont know if i explained that to be understandable or not??
Clean the rotor, pads, calipers, mounting bolts and all with brake clean. then reassemble with a lite dose of brake caliper grease
I always smear a thin film of silicone on the back side of the pads before installing. Helps with the noise like you said.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
I always smear a thin film of silicone on the back side of the pads before installing. Helps with the noise like you said.
very true the pads sticking is one main problem. One thing alot of guys miss is they smear some kind of anti sieze or silicon or brake quiet but dont clean the pads and hardware up really good,,,,this causes more of an issue because the brake dust gums up and makes things worse

1 - 9 of 9 Posts