Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would throw this out here for any that have rear brake noise. I had never had brake noise until about two months ago when I had the back wheel off. I took the rotor off for one reason or another and since at low speeds just above 3-5 mph I would get a groan out of the brakes from time to time. I tried moving and sanding the pads but it did no good. So Friday I took all the bolts out, cleaned the matting surface of the rotor on the wheel and applied more lock tight and torqued the fasteners. Almost 350 total miles today and not a sound out of them. I'll keep you updated if it returns but it seems my brake noise was the fasteners between the rotor and the wheel either not aligned perfect or not tightened even. Really had nothing at all to do with the pads.

I can also report after 1000 miles of slipper clutch that I give it a thumbs up.

·
George
5,411 Posts
Thanks for the tip "Dad"... mine's noisey as hell.. I'll get right on that one!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Good stuff, Max!

I broke down and bought Lyndal pads for mine to get rid of the rear brake noise. Never did try to make the stock pads work outside of some hard braking.

·
Nate
3,277 Posts
For some reason I was under the impression that the brake rotor bolts were one time use only? Is that not true?

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Max said:
I can also report after 1000 miles of slipper clutch that I give it a thumbs up.
Max - you still using the AIM pressure plate with the slipper clutch?

·
I FINALLY GOT BOOST!
3,944 Posts
Steppenwolf said:
The slipper clutch is four bolts and the AIM is five so no it can't be used until/if they redesign it

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steppenwolf said:
No I have the slipper, the aim is not compatible with the slipper clutch as of right now. The aim is still lighter pressure then the slipper is and still offers more torque at rpm but the slipper is nice with it's almost ratchet locking in.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Thanks Max: I have had the mysterious occasional groan from the rear brake since having the wheel off to put my 200 on, and couldnt figure it out. Ill try your fix.

Kev

·
Banned
4,397 Posts
Max, thanks for the tip my brakes do the same damn thing...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Nate552 said:
For some reason I was under the impression that the brake rotor bolts were one time use only? Is that not true?

:them:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nate552 said:

The factory bolts are stretch bolts and the book does say they should be replaced each time they are uses. I after weld wheels with chrome bolts that did not say that but it may be true that when changed they need extra care.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Max said:
I thought I would throw this out here for any that have rear brake noise. I had never had brake noise until about two months ago when I had the back wheel off. I took the rotor off for one reason or another and since at low speeds just above 3-5 mph I would get a groan out of the brakes from time to time. I tried moving and sanding the pads but it did no good. So Friday I took all the bolts out, cleaned the matting surface of the rotor on the wheel and applied more lock tight and torqued the fasteners. Almost 350 total miles today and not a sound out of them. I'll keep you updated if it returns but it seems my brake noise was the fasteners between the rotor and the wheel either not aligned perfect or not tightened even. Really had nothing at all to do with the pads.

I'm wondering how you can hear brake rotor bolts over that massive Turbo. LOL. Are you idling thru the neighborhood? I'll check my bolts too. No rear noise here, but you never know. Thanx Max:notworth:

·
Jeff/Modistrator
6,136 Posts
Max said:

I noticed that I also had some noise from my rear brakes after I installed the 260 rear tire. Last week when I took it back apart to run my wires for my sidemount plate I retorqued the rotor bolts and that helped a great deal. But there is still a little dragging back there. Do you think that if I got another set of rotor bolts that this may help? When I changed to the 260 and had the rotor off, I did put new bolts on there so they are only about a month old.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
This makes good sense.If dirt and road dust gets between the rotor then the groan cannot be dampend by the wheel.
I've had my Heritage sound like a big truck when stopping and this procedure has made it quit,for many thousands of miles.It works in the same manner as using a chatter belt in the olden days when refinishing a drum or rotor.Now,in the newen days we just replace rotors and drums.:)

Elrod on the V-Rod:moped:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts