Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
enigmas
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently while checking my bike for faults (after an extensive rebuild) I ran out of rear brakes (faulty hose) going down a windy mountain road and later decided to rebuild the rear brake line so that it is no longer anywhere near the exhaust system but goes up towards the rear seat and down to the caliper.
I don't believe the fault was caused by the factory location of the pipe & hose but am aware through that on some of the newer models there have been issues of the exhaust burning through the hose. Either way I don't like brake lines (hoses) near exhaust pipes.

·
enigmas
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it might be a bit ugly but it is out of the way of the heat source and I'm over repairing this bike. I'll replace the screw with a a small dome hex bolt. Your line looks good.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
As a side note. Is the bolt at the bolt in between the pipe and swinging arm tight? looks partway out or the nut is missing.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I covered the line with thick spiril wrap. Especially where it touches the swing arm or is exposed to the road elements. Learned about spiril wrap from when I was into boating. If anything it protects from chaffing. And possibly heat and road damage. I tried to cover most any exposed line or wire on the bike. Including where the cables go through the triple trees. Very easy to do. The marine brands are the best.
Roger

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
As a side note. Is the bolt at the bolt in between the pipe and swinging arm tight? looks partway out or the nut is missing.
I have chrome covers on most every fastener,and they might not be seated completely on.I try and check everything when I wash and polish the bike.I sure hope nothing falls off.:)

·
enigmas
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Usanigel, if you're referring to my bike?.. when I was rebuilding it I replaced a lot of hex bolts with higher grade socket head bolts. (I have a stash of them)

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Usanigel, if you're referring to my bike?.. when I was rebuilding it I replaced a lot of hex bolts with higher grade socket head bolts. (I have a stash of them)
I may be wrong, its the one above the rivet and slightly to the right. Just checking!

·
enigmas
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats one of the exhaust sytem mounts. Its a pin that pushes through a rubber bush. There's a hole for a split pin or something like that? It doesn't require anything else as there are bolts underneath the mufflers that secure the system and also stop any movement back and forth.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I have chrome covers on most every fastener,and they might not be seated completely on.I try and check everything when I wash and polish the bike.I sure hope nothing falls off.:)
were do you find those bolt end cap plugs or whatever there called? the ones that plug the ends of the bolts allen heads with a chrome cap? is that a kit that HD sells or can you source it at a hardware store.? thanks

·
brett
9,338 Posts
i use hottoppers for normal bolts with a bit of silicone,and there are some push in ones at the h,d store for most of ur allen key styled bolts ,,look at my bike closely and u will see why some are great from a distance and some are even better close up cosmetically

NOW BACK ON TOPIC

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Bolt covers can be found many places and from many manufacturers.I use hottoppers,spectra,I go the The Chrome Shop at truck stops and swap meets.
I did my Heritage mostly in Acorn covers because it already had many chromed acorn nuts to begin with.

Here's another custom rear line I did.

Attachments

·
enigmas
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ElrodontheV-Rod, I'm having difficulty 'seeing the cable' for all the chrome & bling! :)
Gdub. It's just a bike. (I'll tap the hole for a prettier fastener) My preference in appearance for bikes and cars is more for a 'workman like and used appearance'.

·
Sleep is over-rated
2,423 Posts
yeah thats quite the butt load of chrome you got there elrod!!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Bolt covers can be found many places and from many manufacturers.I use hottoppers,spectra,I go the The Chrome Shop at truck stops and swap meets.
I did my Heritage mostly in Acorn covers because it already had many chromed acorn nuts to begin with.

Here's another custom rear line I did.
I cant see no frikin brakeline all is see is [email protected]! I will try the truck stop though good idea! thx.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
That's a customers bike with the late caliper and the chrome.It's an 02.The bike is absolutely beautiful.The guy that owns it saw a picture of mine on the internet and asked me in an email if I wrench for a living.We struck a deal for me to install a 240 in the stock swing arm.He trailered the bike over 700 miles to me.He was one happy sob when he walked up and saw the finished project.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts