Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Jarhead
598 Posts
I used the accel one off of eBay last month. The exhaust had to be removed in order for me to get the original off. I used a 1 inch open ended wrench. You have to use the hex side.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey just about to attempt to replace my rear brake switch today, do I need to bleed the rear brake? I was told that if I apply a tiny bit a pressure to the lever and hold after I remove the old switch and while installing the new one I can avoid bleeding. I know I should take it to the dealer, but $120 seems crazy to me.

·
Noel
4,579 Posts
Hey just about to attempt to replace my rear brake switch today, do I need to bleed the rear brake? I was told that if I apply a tiny bit a pressure to the lever and hold after I remove the old switch and while installing the new one I can avoid bleeding. I know I should take it to the dealer, but $120 seems crazy to me.
Yes, you will end up getting air in the line, flush it through, $120 is well worth it if you are not comfortable doing this work :deal:

·
Jarhead
598 Posts
I agree with $120 being alot to bleed brakes. Bleeding brakes is not difficult. However, if you have ABS you can't do it in one shot without the dealer's service tool.

·
Jarhead
598 Posts
You could bleed it normal and go for a couple of short rides and trigger the ABS to get the old fluid and any air pushed out of the ABS passages into the main line.
[Edit]
... I know, not the safest way but it works dangit.

·
Kidzap
1,065 Posts
I own a 2009 VRSCAW Nov 2011 the brake light switch went bad. Replaced it with the 72023-51D from Harley. Now its Nov 2012 and I am replacing it with a 72023-51E from Harley. Let's see how long this lasts. I'm in Hawaii and I needed it fast but I will definitely look aftermarket for the next. I have gotten better at taken off the exhaust though.
09 VRSCF with 44K just replaced the switch with the 72023-51E part. BTW this is the first mechanical failure for the bike.

·
GySgt USMC
248 Posts
The RB401 from autozone is not compatible. Way too big/wide for the plug.

·
speeding safely
499 Posts
The RB401 from autozone is not compatible. Way too big/wide for the plug.
What year? It looks like the ones from J&P are only compatible 2007-2017. I've got a 2003 VRSC and mine just went out. The photos look like it will fit, but not sure.

·
Premium Member
11,258 Posts
Some replacements available at most auro parts stores.
'
Stock HD OEM part number: 72023-51D
Accel part number: 181101
Summit Racing pt# ALM-181101 (Accel part)
NAPA # SL147SB
Neihoff # WA627C
Borg-Warner # S551
Excelsior-Henderson # 3199-0058

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
My switch failed and had small pieces of rubber stuck in it from a failing (internal) rear brake hose - ( it also gets baked from exhaust heat ) and the rear brake caliper must be properly supported during tire changes when the wheel is removed ( don't let it hang by the hose ) or that will also damage the hose and put pieces of rubber into the switch, and even leak externally. These hoses are getting hard to get from H-D but are available elsewhere, some much better than OEM for heat resistance. Need a switch ? Hose older than 8-10 years ? Replace it.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts