Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I get on the rear brake easy it makes a howling sound. If I push on it harder it quits. I thought that I might have gotten some aluminum polish on it when doing the wheel so I got some brake cleaner and sprayed it on, no differance. Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks,
Tom

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
How many miles on the brakes?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
tompn usually that is a chemical problem with the brake. They do the same thing if they get silicone or brake fluid on them. You can remove the pads and sand the face of them and see if that helps.

Max

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
vrodvinny said:
How many miles on the brakes?
about 2700.

I thought that I could wear watever was causing the noise away and rode the brake for a while, sometimes kinda hard, sometimes not. Didn't make any differance.

Still confused,
Tom

·
Premium Member
2,992 Posts
Anybody got any ideas?

Tom,
Same problem with my '03. I took it into Green Valley HD in Watsonville (not too far south from you) and they replaced the brake pad springs. Still does it but it's getting less and less as the pads were (now have 5,300 miles).

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
I had the same problem.Do what Max said, also you can put a thin coating of Brake Pad squel stop (don't get any on the pad face or disc) on the back of the pad. You can get it at any auto parts store. I had to do both of the above and the howling stopped.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have that problem. chose to ignore it since it seems every thing I've ever owned with disc brakes makes noise for some reason or another.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Never had a noise from the rear untill I had new pads installed.Mine howl at low speeds untill lightly applied.Harley says the new pads are harder and it's normal.The V-Rod is the only Harley I've heard noise at the rear. :hmm:

Elrod on the V-Rod

1 - 9 of 9 Posts